Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear-end Stabilizers--What say you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a True-Track installed for a couple of years now. It has worked very well so far, no wobble, and no increase in vibration.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:52 PM
bikerbobpoet
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2 cents

I've got an '02 Road Glide I've had for a couple years. I had a '98 Electra Glide before that and I became aware of the rear end issue immediately. Especially on mountain highway roads with long sweepers you can feel the rear end wiggle and it's very unsettling. I put the V Trak stabilizer on and it made a major difference. The rear end is much more planted and stable. The best part is that it is only $130 and not the $400 I've seen for others out there. It is built very well and is easy to install. It also makes general handling on rough roads much better. I wais I had put it on sooner.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM
quick66ss
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glide Pro on my 08. This is my second season with no issues.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Alloy Art mounted in 07. No problems yet, still corners like it's on rails.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

I'm a happy Progressive Link customer, 3+ years, 30,000+ miles on a 2008 Road King. The reason I bought the Progressive is because the part that mounts to the frame is steel, not aluminum. This was intended to be a forever more installation and I didn't want any corrosion from the electrolysis from dissimilar metals in contact with each other. With aluminum clamped to steel, one or the other will slowly corrode and turn to powder.

Before the brace I felt sort of a "wallow" in the fast turns. I couldn't find the sweet spot in a turn, I was always correcting from slightly too sharp to slightly too wide and back. That is gone with the Progressive link. At about the 2 year point I was looking for a squeak and removed the paired Heim joints and found some end play in them. I contacted Progressive and the looseness I had was well within tolerance but I replaced them with other, more heavy duty pieces for less money than Progressive wanted for replacements.(About $40) So far, so good. I have never detected any change in vibration.

From day one I was worried about the geometry of the assembly, that as the swing arm went up and down, the Heim joint connectors would force the swing arm slightly sideways. (One end would move in an arc around the pivot on the other end) Recently I removed the rear shocks and moved the swing arm beyond full travel in both directions and adjusting the length of the Heim joint assembly by only 1/2 turn was too much length change to re-assemble the joint back on its mount. That proved to me that there is no real change in effective length within the constraints of normal travel. I am a happy customer and would get another Progressive unit if the need ever arises.

Last edited by btsom; 06-05-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:56 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
I am a happy customer and would get another Progressive unit if the need ever arises.
Sums it up for me too. Had mine 2 years, it made a huge difference to my '00 FLHT.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Black Gator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Put the True-Track unit on my 2012 Street Glide almost a year ago. I can tell you that the bike handles exceptionally well with it installed. Been pressed hard on twisty/curvy roads. Would install it again on any other touring bike without hesitation.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I put on the progressive link, only because it's the only one that doesn't use the frame cross piece under the engine. I have a double kickstand mounted there.

The link firms things up. I don't notice the wobble like I used to. There is no detectable added vibration. All in all, it was a good addition. I recommend it.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Gator
Put the True-Track unit on my 2012 Street Glide almost a year ago. I can tell you that the bike handles exceptionally well with it installed. Been pressed hard on twisty/curvy roads. Would install it again on any other touring bike without hesitation.
Good thing you got that new frame......

Old 06-06-2013, 05:03 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've had my True-Track kit on for almost four years. I deliberately removed the link on one occasion and rode the bike with and without. I could detect the difference in 'feel', but not any vibration. The change in handling was a reminder to put it back on!. I used a Trackula kit and no problems or comments whatever, except how good the darned thing is!

If it needs repeating, my bike feels better as soon as it starts moving. The improvement in handling and steering are so worthwhile you really shouldn't hesitate and get one asap!
Post a link to that big ol' thread you started about the True-Track. (well you wouldn't name it to start with, but you know the one I mean.)

Oh yeah, I went with the True-Track. (and it is all your fault Mr. Brown! )

Last edited by mike5511; 06-06-2013 at 05:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear-end Stabilizers--What say you?