Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Air Temp & Oil pressure Gauges to 2003 Electra Glide Standard

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM
kdodd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Adding Air Temp & Oil pressure Gauges to 2003 Electra Glide Standard

Got all the wire run but cannot get the old Oil pressure sending unit out, 9 years of being in there I guess it has seized. Any suggestions? Is it ok to start the bike with it not hooked up?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried using heat? If we are talking about the sinding unit at the bottom of them oil pan you can try applying some heat with one of those small hand held tourches. Itwas probably installed with some kind of sealer on the threads.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 PM
kdodd
Cruiser

This is the sending unit, oil pressure, it is located on my bike bottom right front of the crank case. Very hard to get to. It is so close to the crank case I wonder if that kind of heat would hurt the crank case. As much as I hate to do I may end up at the Harley shop. I'm sure they run across this from time to time. If I mess the end of it up to bad I will be up **** creek then.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:13 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

take the floorboard off and the brake lever. Once you can do this you can get a pair of vice grips in enough to unscrew the sender unit. it will bugger it up but hey, you are not going to reuse it any way, you will need to pull down in small increments. then when you install the new one, you can screw it in by hand up until you need to tighten, then either a very long big wrench or the aforementioned vice grips can tighten it up. No it will not hurt to start it unplugged. However dont start it with the sending unit unscrewed as oil will shoot out.

I just did this on my 04 road king i converted to a road glide. it should be no problem

Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM
kdodd
Cruiser

Worst case, what would have to be done if it just would not break free, and it is messed up?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Using a little heat from a small hand held torch will not hurt the crank case, apply the heat to the sending unit near the case, but not on the case, try working the sending unit back and forth until it will free up, if it doesn't use some Kroil Penetrating Oil at the threads and let it sit overnight, Kroil is some mean stuff that will work it's way into the threads, I've used this stuff for years as an automotive tech.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 PM
kdodd
Cruiser

Thanks for the advice, i will give it all a try, man, this was suppose to be a simple job.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

I've learned in 30yrs as an ASE Master Auto Tech, when you say this is a simple job, it becomes the most long, drawn out process you can imagine and then some, what can go wrong, usually does!.....Hope you get this worked out.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

worse case, take off the front exhaust pipe and do it correctly. The problem is the exhaust pipe is in the way. So you either improvise or you drop the exhaust pipe.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 AM
fishbust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pswomack
Using a little heat from a small hand held torch will not hurt the crank case, apply the heat to the sending unit near the case, but not on the case, try working the sending unit back and forth until it will free up, if it doesn't use some Kroil Penetrating Oil at the threads and let it sit overnight, Kroil is some mean stuff that will work it's way into the threads, I've used this stuff for years as an automotive tech.

X2 spray it up.

Quick Reply: Adding Air Temp & Oil pressure Gauges to 2003 Electra Glide Standard