Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wants their Ricor Intiminators to work better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You can 'dry' build both legs, leaving the fork caps off until your oil turns up. A little light oil will help assemble slider over tube. Does your kit come with new seals and bushings?
yeah, new seals and bushings. figured i might as well do it all while i have it apart putting the new powdered lower legs on and doing the springs etv.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:31 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

I now have my forks together...I went with 150 mm fluid and 14.0 cm spacer length. Will be figuring out sag later this week once it’s all back together...

Just wanted to thank those that chimed in...

Old 03-23-2018, 09:29 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
I haven't read the recent posts on this thread to see what's up, so apologies if I'm not responsive. However, I do have some useful info to share:

A few years ago I installed the CCE upper clamp, ricor valves tweaked by fabrik8r, and race tech springs. I weigh ~200 and always ride solo. My spacer was cut to provide 39 mm of preload; oil level set as per manual. 39 mm was too much preload. My front end was stiff and I had an occasional, super annoying clunk that occurred on quick extensions of the forks. I recently changed oil and reduced preload to 34mm. Much better!. The clunk is gone and ride is much better. Improvement was so pronounced that I'm going to reduce by a few more mm. (One of us - fabrik8r - rightly said it gets easier every time you take it apart.)

Still swear by the CCE clamp for all pre-rushmore front-ends.

Jef
How long is the new spacer ?

Old 03-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

Does anyone know what size PVC I need to A: Drive the new seals on and B: use as a spacer inside?

Would like to grab them before I start the work if possible. Thanks! 2008 RG

Old 03-30-2018, 01:40 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
How long is the new spacer ?
Just saw this. At work and don't recall, but I'll post later today.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Puglia10
Does anyone know what size PVC I need to A: Drive the new seals on and B: use as a spacer inside?

Would like to grab them before I start the work if possible. Thanks! 2008 RG
Still wondering this if anyone knows off hand.
Also curious who else has done this and is around 180lbs to get a starting point. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Default Diameter

Just realized...when I asked for PVC size, i meant diameter. I know Ill have to measure and test for length.

Does anyone know the diameter of the PVC spacer I need to fit inside the fork tube so I can grab it before pulling my forks apart? Just enough to fit in 41mm or is it specific? Thanks!

Old 04-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

Just realized...when I asked for PVC size, i meant diameter. I know Ill have to measure and test for length.

Does anyone know the diameter of the PVC spacer I need to fit inside the fork tube so I can grab it before pulling my forks apart? Just enough to fit in 41mm or is it specific? Thanks!
While Im at it, I only have one quart of Amsoil #5 but thats enough for both legs right? Just trying to get everything in line since the bike isn't where I live. Trying to avoid multiple trips. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

This thread seems to have died which is a bummer cause theres a ton of good info here.
But anyway, I dove into my forks this weekend for the first time, to install my Rt springs and modded ricor valves.
With all the info here and a couple youtube videos, it was all pretty straight forward to disassemble and replace seals/bushings.
I weigh 180 and got 1.0kg springs, 2008 road glide.
If my math is correct I got 4" for a spacer. Putting the caps back on was tough but I got them screwed in after a few tries and another set of hands!

I'm still waiting for my front wheel from powdercoat so I wasn't able to take my sag measurements yet, but I'm hoping its close to where it needs to be.

My fully extended travel was like 3/4" less than most in here which I found odd.

The one thing I didn't understand and couldn't find was about oil amount/oil level.
Can anyone point me to the page or post that explains where that's supposed to be? I put 10.8oz in each leg as the manual states but then I remembered guys talking about measurements and sucking some out. I think I messed that up?

The bike has 32k on it and I have no idea about its history. One legs oil came out fresh and bright red, and the other leg was black oil. Thought that was strange. But oh well, at least I know what's in it now.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:36 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

This thread seems to have died which is a bummer cause theres a ton of good info here.
Unfortunately fabrik8r went off to a new line of work that took him away from us, so we no longer have the original author to keep us up to date, but it's an oldie and a goodie, which keeps giving! I ran a set of his Intiminators for a time, while Jason was still active, but to be honest don't recall anything special about oil level. There is a post at #419 on levels, quite probably others.

The following users liked this post:
Puglia10 (04-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Who wants their Ricor Intiminators to work better?