Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil consumption and blow by

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM
dz1087
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil consumption and blow by

I was pulling the air filter and plugs today and noticed some oil on the bike.

Looks like quite q bit of blow by for one day of riding right? What is the reason I'm seeing so much oil around that plug? I've suspected that the front cylinder is burning some oil for a time now, would that be why I have oil at the plug or are the two unrelated?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jut my 2 cents, but some oil in the air cleaner is normal, and oil around the spark plug threads usually mean the plug was loose. I've had engines look like mosquito foggers and they've never leaked oil from the plug threads.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't seen oil weep past the plugs' compression sealing ring, even if you had major oil ingress from valve seals/guides. Check the plug itself real close, and I hate to suggest the worst but look for a crack at the plug hole. Got a pic of the plug itself? If that oil is coming out of the chamber, it's time to rebuild the heads.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

yes the plug oil is a mystery.

oil in the air cleaner can have a number of causes, and can be influenced by cam choice and pipe specs, too much accel pump, jetting etc. if the fluid smells like gas that would indicate that some air containing fuel is reverting out the intake.

if pure oil, then it could be worn breather umbrella valves in the heads, overfull oil tank or a result of sustained high rpm operation- in most cases it's only an annoyance.

i have a Pal who has a maxi pad stuck inside the bottom of his air cleaner cover and changes that every 28 days...

if you are consuming oil- like a pint every 500 miles, it needs looking into

mike

Old 01-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Landon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with the others. Normal at the A/C, but the plug weeping oil could be a concern. Was the plug loose at all?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

oil in the air cleaner can have a number of causes, and can be influenced by cam choice and pipe specs, too much accel pump, jetting etc. if the fluid smells like gas that would indicate that some air containing fuel is reverting out the intake.

if pure oil, then it could be worn breather umbrella valves in the heads, overfull oil tank or a result of sustained high rpm operation- in most cases it's only an annoyance.

i have a Pal who has a maxi pad stuck inside the bottom of his air cleaner cover and changes that every 28 days...

if you are consuming oil- like a pint every 500 miles, it needs looking into

mike
Nice!!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Has his bike's cycle synchronized with the women in his life?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:58 PM
dz1087
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some pics I could not see any cracks and the plug was tight.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like loose plug or bad seal ring, could try a new plug and torque it to specs. Your plug tip looks great, no indication of oil burning.
Oil in breather is usually normal but shouldnt be excessive. You could try a backing plate that vents directly back into the venturi ,i have them on my bikes and no oil shows up in air cleaner.
you can also open up the breather oil returns in the head, i cant seem to attach the pdf procedure but would email it toyou if you send me an address.

Last edited by icebite1; 01-14-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:22 AM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
Looks like loose plug or bad seal ring, could try a new plug and torque it to specs. Your plug tip looks great, no indication of oil burning.
Oil in breather is usually normal but shouldnt be excessive. You could try a backing plate that vents directly back into the venturi ,i have them on my bikes and no oil shows up in air cleaner.
you can also open up the breather oil returns in the head, i cant seem to attach the pdf procedure but would email it toyou if you send me an address.
I'll take that PDF if you don't mind. A.lukes at hotmail.com

Thanks

Quick Reply: oil consumption and blow by