Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TW6-6 cam - What have you experienced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:42 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TW6-6 cam - What have you experienced?

I know this is an old topic, but I hope I am not the only one that keeps holding the cam for a long time (since mid 2010), and not having gut to install it by myself.
My bike is a 2010 ultra limited, Fuelmoto jackpot exhaust, PCV, stage 1 A/c, and of course, TW6-6 cam.

Anyway, it took me the whole day to install the cam, and wrap the exhaust with heatshield (another project).

To make it short, the bike started up right away at the first time, without any flying bolts and nuts from the engine. I am so happy!
I took it for a short ride (20 miles) and I noticed that the exhaust sound was a little bit louder, and there were some ticking noise from the front end, appearing as the lifters, or pushrods noise, but my limited knowledge will not let me know what it is.
There is no exhaust leak, as I have checked it with my "smoke machine".
I have a few questions for those who have done a similar mods as I did.
  1. Should I have the Dyno done, or buy an auto tuner? Pro and con?
  2. What the best mileage that you get before and after install the cam?
Thanks much in advance for any info.

In case you wonder about my "smoke machine", here it is!

Last edited by jackhis; 01-03-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Sledge Hammer
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

PC V is a decent tuner. If you haven't changed the map since you added the cam, I would do so. Fuel Moto could get you a map that is pretty close. Best HP and torque would be with a dyno. I wouldn't think a dyno tune would cost as much as an auto tuner, and I would expect the most performance from the dyno tune.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 PM
GAZRNR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the TW6-6 in my 09 RG. I had a PCV, SE Air filter & rinehart mufflers when I was using the 6-6's. I used the auto tune to tune the fuel & ignition maps...from about 2800 to 6000 the bike was strong. This was not where I ride most of the time and the cams caused me to run a lower gear & more RPMs than I wanted to. The best mileage I could get was 41-43 on the highway.

I am surprised your bike ran OK with these cams & no tune. I did a basic start up before adding the auto tune and letting it do it's thing, before tuning the bike ran terrible. Get the auto tune from fuel moto, they helped me dial it in. Also, get a set of the woods lifters if you want to get rid of the tick.

I pulled the 6-6's and went with the reaper 525 cams. The bike doesn't pull as hard but runs great where I ride & fuel mileage went up to 45 on the highway.

hope this helps

Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Sath
Tourer

I ran the woods 6w6 in my SG, it was installed at by a HD Dealer. The first thing I noticed was the additional top end noise at idle. I did a 103 at the same time so I ran the stock push rods. The dealer recommended SE Valve springs so I wasnt sure it was the cam or the Valve springs making the noise. I assumed since it was dealer installed it sounded like it should. Put 12k on the bike before I traded with no problems what so ever.

As far as your questions :
1) Had installer/dealer dyno tune with SEST and kept my warranty.
2) I got same fuel milage if not a little better with the Stage 2 103 vs a stock 96. I averaged 45 mpg with the stage 2, got as high as 50 and low as 40.

I think even with your exhuast leak fixed you will have additional noise. I noticed mine at idle, at speed all I could hear wind,radio, and a little voice in my head saying twist, twist, and then brake. I got confused riding sometimes

Sath

Last edited by Sath; 01-02-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:30 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
PC V is a decent tuner. If you haven't changed the map since you added the cam, I would do so. Fuel Moto could get you a map that is pretty close. Best HP and torque would be with a dyno. I wouldn't think a dyno tune would cost as much as an auto tuner, and I would expect the most performance from the dyno tune.
Thanks much for the advice. I will have to contact my dealer to see what they'll say.

Originally Posted by GAZRNR
I had the TW6-6 in my 09 RG. I had a PCV, SE Air filter & rinehart mufflers when I was using the 6-6's. I used the auto tune to tune the fuel & ignition maps...from about 2800 to 6000 the bike was strong. This was not where I ride most of the time and the cams caused me to run a lower gear & more RPMs than I wanted to. The best mileage I could get was 41-43 on the highway.

I am surprised your bike ran OK with these cams & no tune. I did a basic start up before adding the auto tune and letting it do it's thing, before tuning the bike ran terrible. Get the auto tune from fuel moto, they helped me dial it in. Also, get a set of the woods lifters if you want to get rid of the tick.

I pulled the 6-6's and went with the reaper 525 cams. The bike doesn't pull as hard but runs great where I ride & fuel mileage went up to 45 on the highway.

hope this helps
I did load the map from Fuelmoto, but that's it! So far, I think I am very lucky, as I didn't even have to buy any new washer (shim) with the new cam. The bike is running fine, except, the idle speed fluctuates a little bit (not steady at neutral), and I have to monitor on this one.
Originally Posted by Sath
I ran the woods 6w6 in my SG, it was installed at by a HD Dealer. The first thing I noticed was the additional top end noise at idle. I did a 103 at the same time so I ran the stock push rods. The dealer recommended SE Valve springs so I wasnt sure it was the cam or the Valve springs making the noise. I assumed since it was dealer installed it sounded like it should. Put 12k on the bike before I traded with no problems what so ever.

As far as your questions :
1) Had installer/dealer dyno tune with SEST and kept my warranty.
2) I got same fuel milage if not a little better with the Stage 2 103 vs a stock 96. I averaged 45 mpg with the stage 2, got as high as 50 and low as 40.

I think even with your exhuast leak fixed you will have additional noise. I noticed mine at idle, at speed all I could hear wind,radio, and a little voice in my head saying twist, twist, and then brake. I got confused riding sometimes

Sath
Thanks much Sath! That is really encouraging. Another reason that I asked, because I imagine the dyno can be varied from one technician to another, but then I have no knowledge about Dyno at all.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Personally, I love my 6-6's
Yes they are a bit loud, but the power is great 110/115 with a mild low compression 107 build

Old 01-03-2012, 08:58 AM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I had mine removed (long story) but the motor (top end) became quiet. I'm thinking gear drive cams in my future I don't mind noise as long as I can identify the noise to be a normal one. Not one thats going to have me wondering if everything is working correctly.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had my TW6-6 cams for 20k miles. The bike runs good, and has about 80lbs of torque starting at 2000 rpm, even with a Thunderheader (more than the stock bike had at peak). It peaks at 106 at about 3700. Not bad considering it's a stock 96".

My cams are not noisy at all. I reused the stock pushrods and stock lifters.

The performance is pretty good in my book, I'm satisfied with it. A good dyno tune is worth every penny. Look at the Harley Stage I tune with cams vs. being properly tuned:

Last edited by JCleary; 01-03-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JCleary
I've had my TW6-6 cams for 20k miles. The bike runs good, and has about 80lbs of torque starting at 2000 rpm, even with a Thunderheader (more than the stock bike had at peak). It peaks at 106 at about 3700. Not bad considering it's a stock 96".

My cams are not noisy at all. I reused the stock pushrods and stock lifters.

The performance is pretty good in my book, I'm satisfied with it. A good dyno tune is worth every penny. Look at the Harley Stage I tune with cams vs. being properly tuned:
Thanks much for the info.
I gotta ask you about the mileage. Good/bad/same?
I am still waiting for the Dyno.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2012, 08:18 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

I have ask everyone that has installed the TW6-6 cam, with their 103" limited. What map that you have used, and what is your gas mileage?
I have noticed that my bike mileage is dropped down tremendously, from mid 40 to mid 30, and I have only one map that Jamie from Fuelmoto sent to me about 1.1/2 years ago.
Any help would be appreciated.
Nick

Quick Reply: TW6-6 cam - What have you experienced?