Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on possible purchase (Flhx or ultra)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM
panheadsully
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on possible purchase (Flhx or ultra)

Folks,
Some feedback would be great. I'm considering 2 different bikes, a 2004 Ultra and a 2006 HX.

The 04 ultra is black with 11k miles, stage one, slip ons and zeppelin seat otherwise pretty much stock. He'll take $11k

The 06 HX is Black with 2900 miles, pipes and backrests, stage one and slip ons. He'll take $11900

I didn't want to go over 12 on a bike. Are these good prices or just average? I know i can strip down the ultra to be like the HX and I'm fine with the Twin Cam 5 speed.

Which one is the better buy or should I keep looking? I've owned multiple 88ers and they've all performed fine for me.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Depends on what you want, I say.

Do you want all the goodies that come on the Ultra? If you got the HX, would you be adding those things later?

Which one is in better shape all around?

I like the idea of newer and less miles, but 11k isn't many miles either.

Surely you have a list of pros and cons. Which one better meets the things you want?

Also, I think those prices sound fair, but that's just my intuition saying that.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I would go for the Ultra. More bang for the buck. 11,000 miles is nothing to worry about.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:29 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends. The ultra has all the shiney things that you'll probably want to add if you pick up the FLHX. I love the ultras but due to the lack of **** on my bike on a consistent basis I didn't see the reason to go with a more of a two up friendly bike. All depends on your needs my friends.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
panheadsully
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, well which one do u think Is the better buy? I do like the thought of the rear trunk, but it can always be added to the HX. Which one has the better stereo? I'll never use the cb on the ultra so what else, minus the trunk are you missing? I would set the trunk up for quick release.

I like the clean fenders, no pinstripe on the HX. I don't care for the guards on the fender, saddlebags pinstripe etc on the ultra.

Are these ok prices? Could I find an HX or ultra with a 96/6 for same money?

Thoughts?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:19 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey, I just went to KBB for retail values. The 04 retail for excellent condition is 12K. The 06 retail for an excellent condition is 13.4K.

So both are pretty good deals. You may find an 07 or 08 X for 12K. Personally, i would try to find the newer one (07,08) they will have the 96 motor and bigger gas tank. BTW 09 is the new frame.

Last edited by luc.who; 01-21-2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: add frame comment
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by luc.who
Personally, i would try to find the newer one (07,08) they will have the 96 motor and bigger gas tank.
Larger gas tank is 08-up, 07 still had the 5 gallon tank.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/har...gilde_2007.php

Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 AM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can remove the saddle bag guards, and the tour pak and hardware is not an inexpensive addition should you want it. I would go with the ultra and strip it down if I were you. To answer the radio question, the radio on the '06 is better.

mikebaby

Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts

Just to confuse things, I like the looks of the Street Glide way better unless you are 2 up and long trips. I went through the same dilemma when I bought mine and thought I would go ahead and get the Ultra and then I can take off what I don't want. Well I can spend more money taking off what I don't want and making it look like a Street Glide than I would have spent adding a removable trunk. That's actually the only thing I wanted to add and a Street Glide just looks better for cruising. Just another opinion.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a Street Glide and now I have a Electra glide Classic (both the same MSRP when new). When I bought the SG I was the only one riding, so it worked well for me, plus it looked cool!!. Since then my wife is starting to ride. Riding 2-up the EGC works much better - it's much more functional. So I basically traded "cool" for "functional". You'll really need to ask yourself what you need the most - a stripped down bagger that's really cool or a chromed up dresser that's very nice looking in a different way, yet very functional. Certainly you can build one up or strip the other down, but you'll have to weigh the cost of that.

By the way, you'll also need to decide which one you want to look at everytime you walk into the garage.

See attachments (Granted, my silver ECG isn't the black Ultra you're looking at, but you get the idea).

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on possible purchase (Flhx or ultra)-053.jpg   Thoughts on possible purchase (Flhx or ultra)-100_1064.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thoughts on possible purchase (Flhx or ultra)