Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Mityvac 7300 for brake bleeding/flushing?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Anyone using Mityvac 7300 for brake bleeding/flushing?

2006 Ultra

The Mityvac 7300 is the compressor-air driven unit. Works great for me for draining my engine oil but I have not tried using it to bleed the brakes. It works quite fast for the engine oil, maybe 5-10 minutes to get out 3.5 quarts.

I was hoping that someone could tell me their experiences using it to drain and renew the brake fluid. How did the brake-bleeder hose attachment work? Did it leak fluid or allow air into the system? Did it pull fluid too fast to keep the flulid reservoir filled quickly enough? I know there is an air flow valve on the unit that to some extent will control the suction, but I wondered if it was variable enough to control the rate at which the fluid was extracted. When doing engine oil I have this valve full open of course.

Thanks in advance for any reports on this.

Last edited by albngore; 01-20-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I would give it a try just see if you can get a helper to make sure you keep the reservoir full of new fluid. I have not used the power mityvac but my little hand pump one sure works slick for bleeding the brakes but even that is easy to let the reservoir get too low.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've used the manual mity vac but not that one. Should work the same, but You had better be quick to add fluid if it draws the fluid that fast or you'll end up with a dry master cylinder.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why mess with it? The speed bleeders do the job fast and without any extra tools.
http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

I have thought about getting the speed bleeders. I like the stainless version. One question is: when first installing, that is taking out the OEM unit and replacing with the SB, how much brake fluid comes out before the new one gets screwed in?

It would seem that it is important to make certain to work relatively slowly to ensure than the threads are not crossed before wrenching it in. Then, what size tubing and what kind attaches tightly to the SB to ensure that that no fluid leaks from that juncture while doing the bleeding or complete replacement.

I want to replace all the brake fluid, not just bleed the system. My brakes are just fine now.

Any advice on using the speed bleeders will be appreciated.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:49 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
I have thought about getting the speed bleeders. I like the stainless version. One question is: when first installing, that is taking out the OEM unit and replacing with the SB, how much brake fluid comes out before the new one gets screwed in?

It would seem that it is important to make certain to work relatively slowly to ensure than the threads are not crossed before wrenching it in. Then, what size tubing and what kind attaches tightly to the SB to ensure that that no fluid leaks from that juncture while doing the bleeding or complete replacement.

I want to replace all the brake fluid, not just bleed the system. My brakes are just fine now.

Any advice on using the speed bleeders will be appreciated.
You can buy rubber tubing on the Speed Bleeder site. It works great. You will get a good amount leakage when you install, but you do not have to rush - just have some shop rags ready and protect your paint.

I completely flushed and bled my brakes with these bleeders. It takes five or six minutes per caliper. Just keep filling the master cylinder with brake fluid and slowly pump your brake pedal or lever. Once you see there are no bubbles in the tubing, then you are done.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 PM
IBM-HD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Mityvac 6830 to flush & bleed my ABS equipped 09 with no problem. You control how fast the fluid is removed by how far you open the caliper bleed valve.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:27 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used speed bleeders for years and a few years ago the mytivac and there is no comparison for me. I will never go back to speedbleeders after using the mytivac.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:08 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

+1 on the mytivac. Very easy. Never used speed bleeders.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Never used that model but I have used Mac and Snap on ones and they work ****. I bled a p/u truck in less than 15 mins

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone using Mityvac 7300 for brake bleeding/flushing?