Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam bearing failure

Old 01-22-2012, 05:32 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

thanks guys...So what I am hearing is there is nothing wrong with the original type bearings and people are just switching to the torringtons because they are cheap and it is good practice to change bearings at cam change...the original bearings are fine, i.e. no failure issues....

Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For the money of the new bearings, definitively cheap insurance.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrfikser
thanks guys...So what I am hearing is there is nothing wrong with the original type bearings and people are just switching to the torringtons because they are cheap and it is good practice to change bearings at cam change...the original bearings are fine, i.e. no failure issues....
When I put in the 255 cams in at 3600 miles on the bike I ask the dealer if I should change the inner cam bearings with that few of miles on it and he recamended that I do that and to use the torringtons, Their shop will not use the stock INA's with any motor work they do.
That being said I also have no expereance with faliure to the stock bearings.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:00 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It does happen, I had to rebuild a friends 06 streetglide with 20,000 miles when the cam bearing went and debris trashed the entire engine and takes the case out too. No mods all stock. Mike

Old 01-22-2012, 06:01 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc115
It does happen, I had to rebuild a friends 06 streetglide with 20,000 miles when the cam bearing went and debris trashed the entire engine and takes the case out too. No mods all stock. Mike
Thats 06 not 07+. Its an older issue.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I did mine the other way around.

I had a buddy with an '03 Heritage grenade his inner cam bearings. On my '03 FLHRCI, I was sitting on some Chrome Cash and wanted to put in the hydraulic cam chain tensioner plate with that, and take care of the inner bearings at the same time. So..... "while we were in there". That led to SE211 cams too, just for kicks.

I decided that since I was spending "funny money" I might as well fix all that stuff on my schedule, rather than not.

Just my .02

Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are already in there and as easy as they are to change why not cheap insurance

Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not heard of any cam bearing failures on 07 and up TC motors.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Change the bearings upon a cam change, yes. What ever you want to put in is fine, full comp or caged.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:04 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll disagree with that. Depending your mileage and a few other factors your risk goes up. A lot. Those bearings are not expected to last forever by design.

Resources close to the Source tell me years back when MoCo switched to the cheaper style bearings they saved $8 per motorcycle. There was an argument on the inside that those bearings were destined to fail at 40k miles and not worth the $8 savings.

Guess what, 40k miles is well outside what most people will drive while under their warranty and repairs after warranty are even better for the bottom line. So cheap bearings for us it is.

Assuming those bearings are reliable is a gamble where the odds get worse with time.

Considering that a catastrophic engine failure is imminent from a a bad cam bearing, it's really just another cost effective PM that needs to be on the to do list, especially when you are in that area wrenching.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cam bearing failure