Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   The "stock horn" has to go !!!!! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/728924-the-stock-horn-has-to-go.html)

ybnorml 01-31-2012 04:11 AM

The "stock horn" has to go !!!!!

I'm bouncing between the Bad Boy Wolo self contained air horns
and the Mini - Beast self contained air horns.

There is quite a difference in price, any other differences besides looks ??
Is one actually better than the other ??

The new J & P Cycle catalog arrived the other day, and I've been
thumbing through it looking for ideas.

What's the good / bad / and ugly opinions on these ??

Thanks

Garemlin 01-31-2012 05:37 AM

I was just checking out the new Mini Beast XR series. They aren't bad looking at all. The earlier series are just too big and gaudy looking. I have heard the Mini Beast in person and they are loud. Not familiar with the other one you posted.

davidw221 01-31-2012 05:47 AM

Harley should be ashamed of use such a inferior horn, wow, meets DOT standards,but doesn't help riders when they need a horn.
Safety is on my plate, has anyone reved up their bike with stock pipes, and the squeaky Harley horn to get a cagers attention?
Impossible!

TheGrandPoohBah 01-31-2012 05:57 AM

I am checking out horns too, but for sure don't want a clown sounding horn. Was just about set on MetalArts horns - look sharp, sound good, but bad reviews in the forum.
Same boat as you Bro...

fabrik8r 01-31-2012 06:13 AM

In retrospect, I've always immediately focused my attention to take evasive action, so I don't die, before blowing the horn to let another driver know that I didn't like what they just did. The horn has never really been usefull in preventing an incident, more of a makes me feel better safety item, like the TSA. I would probably feel better if I could just personally yell at the dipshit that merged into my lane without looking. I think a lot of people like the Stebel products.

Todd7446 01-31-2012 06:20 AM

Horn

I've got a Mini-beast 5. It is a bigger oval, but with the gloss black and raw aluminum fins, it matches my engine very well (Ultra Limited). It is LOUD, too.

X Iron Butt 01-31-2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by fabrik8r (Post 9329598)
In retrospect, I've always immediately focused my attention to take evasive action, so I don't die, before blowing the horn to let another driver know that I didn't like what they just did. The horn has never really been usefull in preventing an incident, more of a makes me feel better safety item, like the TSA. I would probably feel better if I could just personally yell at the dipshit that merged into my lane without looking. I think a lot of people like the Stebel products.

:icon_that: I agree with staying too focused to blow horn. I have two horns they are made by Vance and Hines and one hand is almost allways on the button. The stock horn works great for getting the attention of the rider next to you.

hougz79 01-31-2012 07:55 AM

I always found it odd that a stock Harley is about 80ish dbs, yet the stock horn is only around 60 dbs...... Talk about "checking a box" on the MOCO's part....

CurtisO 01-31-2012 08:15 AM

My latest horn is the bad boy wolo. It's plenty loud. And looks ok. I've had others on other bikes, for the price and sound- I like the Wolo. And this horn has saved me from a mini van driving soccer mom at least once.

jberg 01-31-2012 08:15 AM

I got the Metalarts that looks like a larger version of the oem horn. It actually has a Wolo inside so I know they work very well. Metalarts makes good pieces of artwork but they are horrible with customer service. I liked the similarity to the oem. If you're not in a big hurry they are worth considering if you like their styles. The Wolo or Steibel horns are as loud as any $200 horn so you can't go wrong there.
No matter what anyone says, you MUST use a relay with good heavy wiring. (12Ga) Horn volume will be double compared to stock wiring and you won't have to worry about toasting your switches.