Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspection Stickers in Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fj1200
The sticker is proof that a state certified vehicle inspector has checked that you have working headlight, tail light, brake light, turn signals, and horn and that your brake pads are not worn. In other words, that you paid someone to check items that you be checking yourself.
And this is seriously a requirement? that is Retarded for sure.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 297 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
I'm not putting no stickers on my bike! Haven't for years!
That means you are putting stickers on your bike. :-)

Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 AM
larryboy
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, as stated by other posters, the sticker has to be on the bike, it has to be on the left side, and it has to be visible, and current. Like they said, legally the inspector has to but it on the bike or your inspection plate which is on the bike, or he won't pass you. They are **** about this around here because they say it will come back to them.
On my ultra it is on a plate that is mounted by the swingarm. In Norther VA this is strictly enforced, and they will pull you over it they can't see it from there car. You are off the hook if you have it, but they seem to be crazy about looking for them. I think they use this as a reason to stop you, but that would be profiling and we know that doesn't happen.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:13 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Northen VA and I have never been pulled over because the sticker is not visable. My custom 02 Fatboy never had an inspection from 2007-2010 and I never got stopped. My 02 SERK which I bought in MD in April 2010 has never been inspected and I have never been stopped. Now my 2011 RGU has an expired sticker which I need to remove.

One of my friend's is a VA inspector and he has never had an inspection on any of his bikes...ever.

If the police look at your bike and they can't see the sticker doesn't mean they are going to pull you over. It just may be in a spot they can't see it. Now if it is visable it better be current or they will stop you if they see it.

It is a personal choice whether you choose to get an inspection. I choose not to. The state gets enough F-ing money from me as it is.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is on the left fork. Its not in the way of lowers. I know a lot of guys who never had their bike inspected.....it's 10 bucks, the law in NY, and why would you want to complicate any future insurance claim...unless of course your riding with out a license then of course you have no insurance claim.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to put mine on the back of my license plate. Got stopped by State Police once and after he walked around the bike a few times he asked me where it was. Then he came back and said "it's a little old isn't it" at 6 yrs. I guess he was right. Had to go to court, I complied before court and it was dismissed. Gotten one ever since. My newest bike came from the dealer so it is free and gives me an excuse for a ride. I don't think the state gets any of the money for the sticker but get the fine money if you don't comply. All states have a way to get your money it is just worded different. There are people here that run with bad brakes, lights out and disintegrated wiper blades.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Tincup
Novice

Just moved to Northern VA. Where can I find/buy one of these plates?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tincup
Any local VA HD dealer should have a plate available. They have to put the sticker on the bikes they sell. If you look close at my bike you can see an orange spot just at the bottom and back side of the outer primary. That is the location my dealer installed the plate and sticker. You can barely tell it is there if you are standing by the bike. Can be seen a little better if you are passing a cop at an intersection. Only time I have ever been ticketed on the bike for non compliance (expired) is when I was stopped for something else and they looked for it. If you get it inspected and go to court it is usually dismissed and no fines are levied. You could look around at a couple of bikes on the showroom and if capable make it yourself. Take a ruler to measure the sticker. 2 bolt holes usually work best for vibration. This is not as bad as everybody who doesn't have to do it in their state makes it sound. It helps keep the cages brakes working properly too. Just have to teach them to look for bikes. You could live in NJ where the State Police run the inspection station and actually use a decelorometer to check braking capability (or used to).

Good Luck

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM
fannin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tincup
Where are you in NOVA?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Tincup
Novice
Smile

Originally Posted by fannin
Where are you in NOVA?

Springfield, 13 miles from DC.

Quick Reply: Inspection Stickers in Virginia