Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax back to stock ECM & FP3

Old 03-06-2021, 10:54 AM
UNIT979
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ThunderMax back to stock ECM & FP3

After replacing almost everything electrical on the bike, the 2nd dealership found a wire that was shorting out that ran next to part of the clutch cable.
One of the many things the 1st dealer replaced was the stock ECM and FP3 to a ThunderMax, because stock ECM's were on back order. They said my ECM was fried, but they also said the coil, wires, plugs, stator and other things were as well because they couldn't find the problem. Hoping it is OK.
Thundermax is working, however I am experiencing decel pops (more like backfires) and the idle hardly ever drops below 1000.
With just the slip-ons and K&N, I like the stock ECM and FP3 better.
MY QUESTION...
Will I be able to just plug my ECM & O2 sensors back in with the FP3? Or is there something the dealer will have to do, like reprograming my old ECM? This is something I feel I can do if its just un/installing the ECM and stock O2 sensors.
I like being able to see parameters on my phone from the bluetooth FP3. I understand some might say this is a downgrade, however my buddy is wanting the ThunderMax due to more extreme upgrades. I have no plans to upgrade this 2007 more than the slip-ons & K&N.

I posted in another forum, but figure I would get a better response here.

Thanks,
Brad

Old 03-06-2021, 11:38 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

I would stay with the TMax for now. First make sure your firmware and software are up to date. Also check that you have no exhaust or intake leaks, which could be a factor in the decel pop.
Forget the dealer, do a data log and send it to Zippers. Tell them your mods and what issues you're having. They will either tweak the map or send you a new one. If you have autotune, you'll need to ride it and get a few auto sessions on the bike.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:42 AM
UNIT979
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if the stock is shot, I have no issue working with the ThunderMax. However, I have a buddy willing to buy it at what I paid. And I have a bent front wheel and want to get a fat front tire/fender. Looking for $$ for that. So if my stock is working, I will just go that way. Just wanted to make sure I can just "swap" it back to stock with my FP3 without any need for a dealer to "program" it or something.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:29 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

you have a fully tunable TMax, if you are having decel pop you are either lean or rich.... too much fuel loaded up in the pipe will light off.

I would see if the map in the TMax is right for your bike, and look at the settings for target A/F ratio.
You can re-load the map or load a new one, it is pretty simple with a laptop and a USB cable

Then I would hand it over to someone who can run it on a dyno and dial it in if the above does not work, they may have to add or subtract fuel or timong at certain points in the matrix.

Thundermax tech support has always been responsive to questions in my experience.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:30 AM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,780 Likes on 810 Posts

Brad,

What year bike are we talking about? My brother in law has a FP3 and it works well for him. I have a Thunder Max and I like it a lot. I like the wide-band capability of the Tmax, and beyond that, I think both will do mostly the same thing. They just do it differently. Both will need some work to be perfect on your bike.

IMHO. I wouldn't ditch the Tmax for the OEM 'puter! Simply my two coins, but it's your bike. Do what you feel is best! Good luck!

Old 03-07-2021, 10:22 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 945 Posts

Keep in mind that your stock O2 sensors are smaller. You'll need either 18-12mm adapters or 18mm plugs if your head pipes are dual bung'd.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:36 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,806 Posts

His sensors are 18mm stock

Old 03-07-2021, 10:40 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Thundermax is an unbelievable system! Saying that it has a specific setting in it to workout decel pop. Just search that on YouTube and you’ll get videos of how to easily adjust it. You might have to put in one value and ride to see how it is then maybe come back and add some more, but it’s easy. You can also adjust your idle super simple. It does it all. Get familiar with it by watching some YouTube videos and their support is great too for any questions you may have on your setup.

Some pipes are more prone to pop than others, so it may not take it all away, just have try and ride it. As mentioned above make sure you don’t have leaks as this will cause popping as well.

I would definitely not get rid of the TMax for an FP3, even if you don’t plan on bigger mods. The adjustability and running while you ride makes this an awesome part.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:02 PM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by UNIT979
MY QUESTION...

Will I be able to just plug my ECM & O2 sensors back in with the FP3?

Brad
Short answer (evidently too short for goofy forum parameters): Yes