Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD York, PA plant blackout dates?

Old 02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I gave them a call and spoke with Bob who was extremely helpful.

They try and keep enough operators on staff to keep tours moving along every 15 minutes. He recommended to get there before noon at the latest to be sure to get a spot. I went ahead and reserved spots on the Steel Toe tour. This tour is more in-depth at 2 hours and requires a reservation compared to the other that's 1 hour and does not require a reservation. He has us marked down and we're to call the week before our trip to make sure we're still making it. At that point he'll run our credit card since we're taking the pay tour compared to the other/free one.

He did say if you're looking to book a Steel Toe tour that you can't call too early to reserve spots. He's already got reservations for people for next year.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 AM
hdloralee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am wondering how early to get there. We can only make it on a Saturday, does that mean the plant isn't running at all?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by alhall88
Just went a few months ago, keep in mind they are on a 4-10 schedule and don't run production on Fridays
Great to know, thank you! As many times as I've been there I did not know that. Guess I've gotten lucky and not gone on Fridays.

Originally Posted by Black_Hog
Doing Milwaukee and Kansas City this year. I’ll call ahead again.
You can still tour Milwaukee? I thought I heard that tour has been shut down for a while? I went back in '88 and it was great!!!

Originally Posted by Jerry L
Seems like I remember that the bikes aren't going to be announced until late August or Sept this year. Or is it next year? Anyway, better call to check.
It's a great tour.
Jerry
They are being announced later this year. Dealer meeting is 20th-23rd of August. Not sure which of those days the official announcement is made. Also not sure this will make a difference on when production changeover takes place?

Originally Posted by MidnightFLHX11
Just a tip, if you wait till the end of September you can go when they have their "open house". It's a huge attraction and a lot of vendors come in and set up in the parking lot.

Open House is great!!! Just remember that it is a HOG event so you don't plan a trip and get turned away. As far as I know this Open House is the only time the Softail plant can be toured.

Originally Posted by ia2189
OK, I gave them a call and spoke with Bob who was extremely helpful.

I went ahead and reserved spots on the Steel Toe tour. This tour is more in-depth at 2 hours and requires a reservation compared to the other that's 1 hour and does not require a reservation. He has us marked down and we're to call the week before our trip to make sure we're still making it. At that point he'll run our credit card since we're taking the pay tour compared to the other/free one.

He did say if you're looking to book a Steel Toe tour that you can't call too early to reserve spots. He's already got reservations for people for next year.
WHOA!!! Never heard of this and I've been there a lot! Live lessthan 2 hours away and try to go up every year. Sorta a pilgrimage. What is the cost and how stricked is the steel toe part? I own lots of boots that LOOK like they have a steel toe but none that actually do. Are they strict? Will the supply steel toe boots or a steel toe of sorts to secure over your boots?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Softails and being built on the same assembly line as the touring bikes in York. So are the CVO softail and touring bikes, no longer individually built in a separate area.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:46 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

sounds like a cool visit, good luck! : )

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
Softails and being built on the same assembly line as the touring bikes in York. So are the CVO softail and touring bikes, no longer individually built in a separate area.
All these years that I coulda visited a second assembly line and never did. Now I can't. Well, I guess I did tour the Softail line back in 86/87, but it was a Saturday so nothing going on and it was self-guided, so I didn't get much out of it.

Do you know if Softails are made on the Touring line? Visa-versa? Or if a completely different line now exists?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member

Same line.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The wife and I are going to the Dick Dale (my Son-in-law) concert in Pittsburg on 07-15 and planning to make a trip to the York plant on Monday 07-16. I've been to the York plant three times since 1988. Always have to buy junk there.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
Same line.
Yes, I know same line, I was very clear in recognizing I understood that.

Up until this change was made resulting in them being assembled on the same line, they had what I'll call Line #1 that made Touring. I've visited it MANY times. Then they had what I'll call Line #2 that assembled Softails. Which I visited once eons ago on a Saturday self-guided.
Now, are both bike lines being made on Line 1? Are both being made on Line 2? Or are both lines being made on a brand new line I'll call Line #3?

This of course is leaving CVO completely out of the equation since they are small batch and have always been separate.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member

CVO are on the same line no longer separate . Saw softail and touring frames on same line. This is in the new factory building. Was there a few months ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD York, PA plant blackout dates?