Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Ride Shields on Road King Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Long Ride Shields on Road King Classic?

I know they are a sponsor, but I hope I can still get some candid opinions. I searched the forums plus did a google search and really can't find much in the way of reviews.

I am 6'1" and have the stock windshield on my RKC. I get pretty significant wind buffeting with both my half helmet (rattles my glasses) and now that it is cold, with my FF. I am considering swapping it out for the 21" Long Ride Shields because it makes sense to me that the recurve could make alot of difference. I think it is about the same height as the stock one, which is fine, because I easily look over the stock shield, which is probably about as high as my mouth when I am in normal riding position. (If it makes a difference, I have a TallBoy seat, so I sit 2 inches further back than stock.)

Is anyone riding one of these on an RKC? What has you experience been with the LRS?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:12 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Have you tried the fork baffle that HD sells? Helped me a lot with the buffeting. I really get no buffeting at all now.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 6 ft and have a stock height long ride. It reduced the buffeting to a livable level. I added a Laminar lip to the long ride and there is no buffeting at all. My neck has been fused and does not like to be shaken . Did an Iron Butt to Daytona last year and was very comfortable.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM
RoadKingGibson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 02 Classic and put this LRS shield on last summer. I had the original King size windshield before. The LRS is actually smaller than the original but I thought the re-curve of the LRS would make up the difference. I have to say I never really noticed a difference in wind protection vs. the original I had. I wish LRS would make this slightly larger. I myself am 6'1" and I have a sundowner seat on my bike. I think I might be looking at something different for this next summer.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I have a 19" LRS on my RKC and I freakin love it. I'm only 5'10", its probably 3 inches lower than stock.

My neighbor is about your height, he has a shield thats shorter than stock which he likes, and he has a 19" LRS waiting for his bike to come back from the shop, but he sat on mine, and thinks it will be just fine.

Last edited by Keithhu; 02-06-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 FLHP ...took the old cop windshield off and replaced it with a 19" LRS ....I freaking love it..well worth the 100 bucks

Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I am 6'1" and have the stock windshield on my RKC. I get pretty significant wind buffeting with both my half helmet (rattles my glasses) and now that it is cold, with my FF. I am considering swapping it out for the 21" Long Ride Shields because it makes sense to me that the recurve could make alot of difference. I think it is about the same height as the stock one, which is fine, because I easily look over the stock shield, which is probably about as high as my mouth when I am in normal riding position. (If it makes a difference, I have a TallBoy seat, so I sit 2 inches further back than stock.)

Is anyone riding one of these on an RKC? What has you experience been with the LRS?
I have the 21" LRS on my RKC and couldn't be happier with the look, quality and price of the windshield. I'm 5'11" and with my Sundowner Deep Bucket seat I'm looking comfortably over the top of the windshield. You could go with a shorter windshield and still not feel the wind over the top of the shield. It's been covered here many times, but the majority of wind buffeting comes from under the gas tank on the Road King. My previous bike was an Ultra Classic, and the wind buffeting on the RKC is much greater at highway speeds. I installed the Kuryakyn Fork Wind deflectors and hit the turnpike to give it a test run. I had absolutely no wind buffeting me from below. The only downside to the fork wind deflectors? They aren't that attractive in my opinion, and they do block quite a bit of wind to the rear cylinder. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Long Ride Shields on Road King Classic?-img_0751.jpg  

Last edited by djkolp; 02-07-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 PM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djkolp
I have the 21" LRS on my RKC and couldn't be happier with the look, quality and price of the windshield. I'm 5'11" and with my Sundowner Deep Bucket seat I'm looking comfortably over the top of the windshield. You could go with a shorter windshield and still not feel the wind over the top of the shield. It's been covered here many times, but the majority of wind buffeting comes from under the gas tank on the Road King. My previous bike was an Ultra Classic, and the wind buffeting on the RKC is much greater at highway speeds. I installed the Kuryakyn Fork Wind deflectors and hit the turnpike to give it a test run. I had absolutely no wind buffeting me from below. The only downside to the fork wind deflectors? They aren't that attractive in my opinion, and they do block quite a bit of wind to the rear cylinder. Good luck.
Hi djkolp, I know you traded this bike a while back but do you remember which tint the LRS windshield was?

Or for that matter does anyone else know what it was, dark or medium tint?

Thanks.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:18 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I had completely forgotten starting this thread until I saw it pop back up today. The postscript to this thread is that I never did change my windshield. At the time I started this thread, I had my Tallboy seat, but still had the stock bars. That combination meant I had to lean forward to reach the bars, apparently right into the slipstream. When I changed my bars to the Heritage Style a couple months later and pulled them back, my body position changed and the problem disappeared.

The only time I get any buffeting is sometimes when I put my size 12 boots on the highway pegs which seem to create eddies that sometimes cause buffeting.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 11-21-2014 at 06:20 PM.