Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Cost of gear cam upgrade? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/731983-cost-of-gear-cam-upgrade.html)

John Dude 02-09-2012 05:56 PM

Cost of gear cam upgrade?

I own a 2004 Eectra Glide, 95 inch. Power Commander,EFI, 33000 miles.
I took it to a one owner one employee performance shop for a "Andrew 26G cam install". New lifters, solid pushrods, USED but like new cam plate because he said the original was defective not allowing the oil button to work properly, (what ever that means), 2 spark plugs, Labor, one quart of Amsoil, dyno tuned......
$2200.....Did I just get the pole up the hole????
Or does this sound about right?

jackhis 02-09-2012 06:57 PM

Have you get the work done, or this is just a quote?

John Dude 02-09-2012 07:00 PM

done, but still at the shop. I will be picking it up Saturday.

jackhis 02-09-2012 07:06 PM

That what I've thought!
The price is not important any more.
Just enjoy the bike.

John Dude 02-09-2012 07:27 PM

As long as everything is right with the bike, I won't argue the price but I was wondering if this was over priced or not. I want this to be my new go to shop, but not if they are hosing me......

John Dude 02-09-2012 08:42 PM

This was my first post and reading of this website. A lot and I mean A LOT of pricks in here. As I read other areas of the forums, I see many smartass answers to serious questions. Wanna be bad asses with no courtesy or brains.

jackhis 02-09-2012 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by John Dude (Post 9371663)
As long as everything is right with the bike, I won't argue the price but I was wondering if this was over priced or not. I want this to be my new go to shop, but not if they are hosing me......

In that case, here is my part break down into price list.
  • Andrew 26G cam = ~ $650
  • Stock Pushrod (4) = $25
  • 2 HD spark plugs = $8
  • 1 quart of oil = $11
  • New lifter (2005 std electra glide) (4) = $160
  • New cam plate = $367
  • Dyno tune = ~ $200 - $250
Total part cost: ~ $1470
Labor = $2200 - $1470 = $730

Let's say the labor is charged $80/hr, then $730/$80 ~ +9 hours of labor.

The price is a little bit stiff, but not that bad.
Again, this is my personal opinion, and I am wrong most of the time.
I hope this help somehow. :)
BTW.: I install the cam by myself, so the above analysis is just a guess!

John Dude 02-10-2012 07:18 AM

Thank you Jackhis. I don't feel too bad now. This guy and his shop is a top performance shop and he has built very nice racers, so maybe his expertise is worth it. I know it's something i didn't want to attempt myself.

TexasJR 02-10-2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by John Dude (Post 9371972)
This was my first post and reading of this website. A lot and I mean A LOT of pricks in here. As I read other areas of the forums, I see many smartass answers to serious questions. Wanna be bad asses with no courtesy or brains.

A microcosm of the real world. Plenty of dumb-asses to be sure, but many many helpful people as well. There is simply not a better place to learn, or if you are looking for it, to get advice on everything Harley Davidson.

Welcome to the Forum! :icon_munching:

journeyman 02-10-2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by John Dude (Post 9371972)

Dude,
This is your first thread !?!
You might want to contribute something to this forum before you start the name calling. :icon_couchhide: