Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 FLHTC won't start

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Gato1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 FLHTC won't start

Little history, just picked up this bike 3 months ago. The previous owner put in a cheap battery. Last week the bike was refusing to turn over. Installed a new Odyssey Dry Cell battery. Worked fine the first day on the second day it won't turn over.

Symptoms, when I turn the key all the lights on the dash turn off (is this normal?) and I hear a faint clicking sound. Battery is showing 12.7 volts which is fully charged. On the 5th try the engine turned over very quickly. Measured the voltage at the main battery cable at the starter, read 12.65 volts. Measured the parastic current draw with the bike off, only 2.5 mA, seems ok.

Is it normal for all the dash lights including the headlights to turn off when starting (probably to direct all the available power to the starter)? A relay for this purpose might be the source of the faint click.

Any ideas?

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

if my memory serves me correctly, yes it is normal for all the lights to turn off when you hit the start button...and it appears you have a problem with starter motor...at least that is where I would start...connections first and then dig deeper...or amybe even the starter solenoid (that is what you probably hear clicking)...

Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

You may have the DREADed click syndrome. Do a search on dreaded click
here's one. Many fixes. Since you replaced battery, those connections should be "clean & tight"

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-question.html

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Also, while looking into your problem, consider charging your new battery. I know it probably says it is 'fully charged', but it isn't. Charge it overnight, at least, when it should show higher numbers than you currently have.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Gato1
6th Gear

Forgot to mention from day 1 I've noticed a slight hesitation when I hit the start button. Maybe a 1 - 2 second delay till the bike turns over (when it does turn over!). Is this normal?

Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The older Harleys had the dreaded click syndrome as previously mentioned. You can buy a push button that mounts on your starter solenoid for about $15-20 on ebay. When the normal button doesn't work, just reach down and push the other button.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Gato1
6th Gear

Is the dreaded click syndrom due to a malfunctioning starter solenoid? As a more permenant fix couldn't I just rebuild/replace the solenoid? Assuming yes, how hard is it to rebuild it? Or replace it? I generally wrench on my own vehicles.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

the solenoid is as difficult to service as the one on your Chevy- pretty simple.
and if starts have been attempted with a weak battery carbon could be fouling the disk, or the contacts may have arced

you could tear into that but checking through the system is smarter.

lots of guys just start replacing parts- which makes the seller happy.

in MANY cases, electrical problems are caused by poor connections- loosening, cleaning and tightening connections is the fix ( the same thing happens when swapping a new part for an old, yet working part suffering from a bad connection.

also to be checked are ground cables, there should be a bare woven wire grounding strap from the inner primary area to the frame ( 'cause the motor is rubber mounted)--- sign of a bad ground wire is a SMOKING clutch cable!

stock wiring, all the lights should be on incl. the headlight.

however some riders add a relay to turn off the lights WHEN the starter button is pushed.
I'm wondering if you are hearing a breaker tripping

as far as "Dread" electricity is simple, like plumbing.

I had TWO odessey batteries fail on me- make sure it is actually holding a full charge and providing full power to start

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-01-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gato1
Is the dreaded click syndrom due to a malfunctioning starter solenoid? As a more permenant fix couldn't I just rebuild/replace the solenoid? Assuming yes, how hard is it to rebuild it? Or replace it? I generally wrench on my own vehicles.
No it's not usually the solenoid. It's usually a connection somewhere between the push button of the handlebar and the starter. I found a large red wire under the fairing the showed signs of heat (faded color) going into a harness. I took it apart, cleaned and re-crimped it and the starter button worked like a charm. That was after replacing a starter (not my idea - long story) and the relay and checking the obvious.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Gato1
6th Gear

I start checking the obvious, first the voltage going to the solenoid and work backwards if things aren't right. I'll also check the large cables going to the starter (Hot and Ground). The battery is brand new and is showing 12.7 volts, almost fully charged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 FLHTC won't start