Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single or Dual axel trailer for bike ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kendon, single axle with independent suspension, never know it's back there.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 AM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 6X12 V-nose enclosed, single axle, with rubber suspension. I have pulled several different trailers, single and tandem, big and small, and the big difference is proper tongue weight and torsion axles. Torsion axles are nicer and tandem has the option of in case of a flat, simply remove the flat and go for a new tire (assuming you are not loaded near GVW of trailer). Cheaper spring axle (esp. single axle) bounce more then the torsion axles. Brakes on a light trailer are just another maintenance pain...

Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Single with torsion suspension is just fine. With regular springs not fine. Last post raised interesting point. How far can you go on 3 tires? Might make expense and more difficult handling of tandem wort it.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am looking to haul two softails this summer. I was looking at some new trailers. Cargo Mate 6x12 single axle. Is this to small? Salesperson told me to stagger them. Would this work? Years ago I shipped my bike to Stugis. The hauler used the dealership original new bike shipping bottom tins to strap all the bikes into position. Has any one done this? Any help/info would be great. Would also consider buying late model used trailer near Long Island....

Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 AM
vangasman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go single axle. You don't need brakes with such little weight, and if you have to move it by hand it's a lot easier than a tandem.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a dual (open) Droptail trailer. Single axle but has a nice suspension system built in. Rides extremely smooth and folds up (like a Kendon) for easy storage if you don't have alot or room to store a big trailer.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Enclosed vs. Open Trailer, both has its benefits

Tandem axle will sway less than a single axle due to 4 tires having to flex instead of 2, same as a dually truck.

Tandom axle is more likely to have electric brakes, the added weight of trailer and bike may be fine on level ground but when if ever you need to make a panic stop or going down hill you just might want them brakes. With electric brakes if it should ever began to sway you can just tap the controller for the electric brakes and should straighten rite up.

Surge Brakes vs. Electric Brakes, Surge brakes are idiot proof where electric brakes you have to initally adjust it for the weight of your load. But with electric brakes if you get the trailer swaying you can control it.

Torsion Springs vs. Leaf Springs, Leaf spring are rough and bounce a lot where torsion springs have a smoother ride. This means a lot when you trying to keep your cargo secured.

Open Trailer vs. Enclosed Trailer, With an open trailer you can look in your mirror and see if the bike is leaning, came a little loose, or moved as you go down the road and just after hitting that big bump. With an enclosed you dont know until you pull over every time you get fuel and open it up. Open your bike will get a lil dirty and possibility of debris hitting it from the pull vehicle tires kicking think up. That trailer is just behind the tow vehicle not like you ridding the bike down the road where your 2+ seconds behind. Enclosed the bike stays clean, no debris. Enclosed, out of sight, out of mind. Enclosed you can also throw your items inside out the weather. Enclosed will be heavier and have to push more wind than an open of equal size.

Blow out, This is usually caused by tire neglect. Dry rotten tires, low air presure either not checking or picking up a nail or something that caused it to loose pressure. Once it looses pressure the tire will begin to flex on the side walls causing more and more heat until it comes apart. Once you ride on a side wall for some distance that tire is damaged even if it looks good when aired up.

Tow vehicle, Dont get a trailer that is too big for the tow trailer. Check the vehicles GVWR, etc. You just asking for all kinds of trouble.

Its a lot of things to think about that only you can decide.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
CAJUNMUDDER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own both single axle and tandem both 12ft, and there is no way im pulling my bike on the single axel it bounces way to much in my opinion its harder to back up and i would rather have that extra tire on each side to keep the trailer upright in the event of a blow out

Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The opinions here vary from one extreme to another. The only reason to go with tandem axle is for weight capacity, period. They do not tow straighter or have less bounce etc.etc. They will wear tires much faster as they scrub around corners, especially in tight low speed turns. But the biggest pain is when trying to move them around without being hooked to a vehicle.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I tow trailers every day for work. Here's the deal. Torsion axles are much smoother than springs whether its single or dual. Any trailer will bounce if its not loaded to at least half capacity. Heavier the better as far as the ride goes. Get a v nose trailer because it gets your bike closer to the tongue which is the smoothest part of the ride. Over the wheels will obviously be the roughest ride. A dual axle trailer will eat tires quicker because of the way they scrub laterally when making tight turns, but you get the advantage in case of a blow out that you arent stranded or forced to change a tire on the hwy. In my opinion, dual axles ride smoother and are more stable in crosswinds. Im sure there are "experts" in this forum that will argue, but Ive towed both extensively, and duals tow better. Sure you can push a single axle around more easily, but how often do you need to do that if you know how to drive with a trailer? If it were me, id get a dual, but either way, you do want to get torsion axles. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Single or Dual axel trailer for bike ??