Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio volume cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Garmon1966
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio volume cutting out

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic that has the stock factory Harmon-Kardon radio receiver unit. Recently it has started to cut out on the volume but it still shows on the display that it is on and playing. The only way to get the sound back on is to turn the unit off and back on and then it will come back on for a few miles then cut out again. This is very annoying and the Harley dealership says nothing can be found wrong. Anyone else ever heard of or had this problem?

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 03-19-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Removed illegal link.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 PM
flylock
Tourer

I did have this problem. In my case , it turned out that I had the cb turned on and it would cut out the radio. Solution was to turn off the cb.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the defective radio club. I have had this issue going on a year now. If your bike is out of warranty you have can either go aftermarket radio or have it repaired at Iron Cross Audio. They are on the web. Do a search on this issue and you will soon see you are not alone with this issue.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Born2cure
Road Captain

Take it out (if not under warranty) and send to iron cross they have the fix. Just got back and after 4 rides 100 miles each hadn't done it again. Had aux output moved to back for mp3. Many of members recommended. Now so do I. Try hitting the speaker switch worked for me instead of turning off.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Garmon1966
6th Gear

Originally Posted by flylock
I did have this problem. In my case , it turned out that I had the cb turned on and it would cut out the radio. Solution was to turn off the cb.
I have the CB turned off. I thought that might have been the problem but it didn't fix it.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Garmon1966
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MichiganDave
Welcome to the defective radio club. I have had this issue going on a year now. If your bike is out of warranty you have can either go aftermarket radio or have it repaired at Iron Cross Audio. They are on the web. Do a search on this issue and you will soon see you are not alone with this issue.
I have an extended warranty but they say if they can't find anything wrong they won't replace the unit.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Garmon1966
I have an extended warranty but they say if they can't find anything wrong they won't replace the unit.
I had the same problem. Here's a thread I wrote a while back. The fix for mine was a new radio. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...t-problem.html

The problem is that the issue is intermitent. The only time you can diagnose it is when the fault is present and that makes it very difficult to positively isolate the problem. In my case the problem kept getting worse and that is what finally allowed me to properly diagnose it.

I would suggest checking your radio for DTCs. Chances are nothing will show up unless you can run the self-diagnostics when the problem is currently manifesting itself.

Good luck.

My bet is the problem is internal to the radio itself.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
ddbuff
4th Gear

My 2007 flhx did the same thing until it quit and would not play at all. My 2010 is starting to do the same thing also. Had my bike at dealer for a throttle by wire issue and when I was leaving on the bike it happened in the parking lot. Service manager came out and told him what it has been doing and is going to order me a radio under warranty. I know it will be a refurbished one but hopefully I will get another year out of it. If and when it goes bad out of warranty I will go aftermarket. I think this is a common problem with the audio outputs.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Garmon1966
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I had the same problem. Here's a thread I wrote a while back. The fix for mine was a new radio. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...t-problem.html

The problem is that the issue is intermitent. The only time you can diagnose it is when the fault is present and that makes it very difficult to positively isolate the problem. In my case the problem kept getting worse and that is what finally allowed me to properly diagnose it.

I would suggest checking your radio for DTCs. Chances are nothing will show up unless you can run the self-diagnostics when the problem is currently manifesting itself.

Good luck.

My bet is the problem is internal to the radio itself.
That's what I'm thinking it is, an internal issue. They did say all they do if they replace a unit is order a refurb. That kinda sucks considering these units a $1000 bucks. I guess as long as it looks good and functions I'll live with it. The first thing I have to do though is to get it to cut out at the dealership. That's like going to the Dr and saying the pain has gone away mysteriously, lol. It never happens when you want it too. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Garmon1966
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Garmon1966
That's what I'm thinking it is, an internal issue. They did say all they do if they replace a unit is order a refurb. That kinda sucks considering these units a $1000 bucks. I guess as long as it looks good and functions I'll live with it. The first thing I have to do though is to get it to cut out at the dealership. That's like going to the Dr and saying the pain has gone away mysteriously, lol. It never happens when you want it too. Thanks for the info.
Got my radio checked out and they did determine that it was a bad unit so they are replacing it. I'm glad I got the extended warranty. It just paid for itself. Thanks for everyones help.

Quick Reply: Radio volume cutting out