Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger apes with heated grips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Big "T"
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bagger apes with heated grips?

After alot of thought and mind changing i have finally found the apes i want to install. Now its weather or not to put heated grip on. Would like some feed back, pros and cons to the heated grips everyone is running.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:28 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running a set of HD heated grips. I love em on cold days. A few weeks back I took a ride when it was 16˚ and my hands were toasty and I didn't even have really heavy gloves on. They get REALLY HOT on 6. I recently added a set of CVO Street Glide spec internally wired bars and there was a note that said "not for use with heated grips". I asked my service manager and he said, "humbug, won't be a problem". Well, he was right, bolted up just fine, all wires hidden and work like a charm. May need to extend the harness for longer bars but any competent wrench should be able to handle this.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

It's a real PITA running all the wires thru the bars, but it can be done.

I've got Heated Grips and like them, and also Heated Gloves for the real cold days.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
It's a real PITA running all the wires thru the bars, but it can be done.

I've got Heated Grips and like them, and also Heated Gloves for the real cold days.
I've had success using the vacuum cleaner and thread trick when fishing wires through bars. Are you familiar with this method?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not exactly the same bars, but I have heated grips with apes on my Road King & I love them!
My bars are internally wired too but they were already so full of stuff, (cruise control, etc.), we had to run the wires for the grips on the outside.
You might be able to see them in this pic.
I just used chrome zip ties to hold them in place & they really don't look that bad.
I'd rather have the heat than the hidden wires.
Oh, and my bars are 1 1/4"...

Old 02-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big "T"
After alot of thought and mind changing i have finally found the apes i want to install. Now its weather or not to put heated grip on. Would like some feed back, pros and cons to the heated grips everyone is running.
I'm on your same wave length. I've finally decided to swap out the factory bars on my 2011 RGC for some 10" Monkey bars and add heated grips. I'm personally going with Heat Demons instead of the HD heated grips due to the countless problems I've heard with the HD grips from forum members, as well as my local shop manager. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to spend an extra $50 to have the throttle section of my bars milled out a tad bit. But that's a small price to pay for Looks and Comfort.