Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop American Elite balance dot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:11 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dunlop American Elite balance dot?

Just had a new tire arrive and I'll install it Saturday. Looking for the balance dot and the problem is that it's got too damn many dots on it. Wondering which one is the balance dot for this tire? I've got a picture of both sides. On the left pic at about 12:00 there is a solid yellow dot, at about 5:00 is a yellow circle. On the right pic there is a red and yellow dot on the bead of the tire.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Dunlop American Elite balance dot?-balance-dot-1.png   Dunlop American Elite balance dot?-balance-dot-2.png  
Old 08-11-2017, 01:22 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Get ya some Ride On and don't worry about it. Stuff works great at not only balancing but also helps prevent flats.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

with or without ride on, there is still a proper procedure to mount tires.

looking at the Dunlop website, at their faqs, they mention that there is a balance dot in the bead area, or on the sidewall. I think I would go with the yellow dot as shown in your second pic. if you can't get a good balance, you could always break the seal and rotate it to one of the other ones.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:31 PM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I just had an elite mounted on my softail. I told the shop I would be using ride on. The yellow dot is a good 1/4 rotation to the left of my valve stem. Yellow dot is only dot showing.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:53 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
Just had a new tire arrive and I'll install it Saturday. Looking for the balance dot and the problem is that it's got too damn many dots on it. Wondering which one is the balance dot for this tire? I've got a picture of both sides. On the left pic at about 12:00 there is a solid yellow dot, at about 5:00 is a yellow circle. On the right pic there is a red and yellow dot on the bead of the tire.

Thanks
its the red dot between the dots on the bead

Old 08-11-2017, 07:02 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Those multiple dots are confusing.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:11 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Get ya some Ride On and don't worry about it. Stuff works great at not only balancing but also helps prevent flats.
Yikes!
Please....... Ignore this horrible advice.
I am truly baffled how many people are clueless why manufacturers go to such great lengths to assist us in proper installation information, just to have it ignored. Even by "professional" installers.

The dots are there to be lined up with the valve stem. The yellow is the standard color dot. And most common. When you have JUST a yellow dot, line it up with the valve stem. If you have both, the red dot takes priority. Follow these manufacturers directions. They make the tires.

The following users liked this post:
Jrsess (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Here. This is from Dunlops site:

Dunlop street tires have balance dots in the bead or sidewall area to indicate the lightest point of the tire. All Dunlop street tires should be installed with these balance dots at the valve. All Dunlop street tires also have arrows on the sidewall, which indicate the correct direction of rotation.

Positioning of balance marks and inclusion of directional arrows are not universal among motorcycle tire manufacturers.

And this is part 2. I just copied and pasted from Dunlops site:

It is essential that tire/wheel assemblies be balanced before use and rebalanced each time the tire is removed or replaced. Unbalanced tire/wheel assemblies can vibrate at certain speeds, and tire wear will be greatly accelerated.

All Dunlop street tires should be installed with the balance dot at the valve. Wheels may be balanced with spoke nipple weights, lead wire or self-adhesive rim weights. Consult the motorcycle manufacturer for approved wheel weights.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers and will not warrant tires into which these materials have been injected. Tire and wheel assembly balance must be checked with a balance stand or computer wheel balancer.

The following users liked this post:
Jrsess (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 04:15 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Yikes!
Please....... Ignore this horrible advice.
I am truly baffled how many people are clueless why manufacturers go to such great lengths to assist us in proper installation information, just to have it ignored. Even by "professional" installers.

The dots are there to be lined up with the valve stem. The yellow is the standard color dot. And most common. When you have JUST a yellow dot, line it up with the valve stem. If you have both, the red dot takes priority. Follow these manufacturers directions. They make the tires.
100% correct! JR