Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more power!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,915 Likes on 8,432 Posts

Getting the heads ported and polished will add some fun ponies to the motor, then you are all setup for a cam upgrade at a later date if you want. Get the bike dyno tuned instead of the 1 map fits all solution that the dealers offer.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:55 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Not just Harleys, I rode Metrics for about 10yrs and theres very little difference in prices for aftermarket or mechanical work between the two.
Maybe but the metrics don't come with the out of the box baggage that comes with a new Harley, like sub par chain tensioners, inner cam bearings, weak tapered connecting rods, cranks with .010" runout that is within the factory specs, engines that run so lean the exhaust pipes will glow in the dark and give off so much heat that they are barely rideable, compensting sprockets that fail from lack of lubrication, weak primary side crank bearings, inadequate suspensions; need I go on?

The Harley "tax" is what we get to pay just to bring the bike up to the standard that it should be from the factory.

Last edited by djl; 02-17-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:08 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Welcome to the HDF. This is my thoughts or saying " I made a 20 thousand dollar down payment on accesories!!" Have fun with it and do lots of reading here before ya spend money on much. Me and a buddy have same 08 ultras and he has done nothing to his accept change oil and ad a set of slip ons. I have AC and slip ons with XIED (oill changes too) and I can walk him every time. Poor man's mods, but are affective. Best of luck
Kris

Old 02-17-2012, 02:38 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Maybe but the metrics don't come with the out of the box baggage that comes with a new Harley...
Then why own one? I have 55k largely trouble free miles on my 2009, stock, FLHTC.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
First off, power, no matter what has some expense to it. Like the guys said, if stock, hi-flow air filter, good slip ons and some tuner. How do you save money ..... MAKE A PLAN. If you start here with XIEDs, a Fuel Pak or other limited tuner, it is money wasted if you decide to do a cam. If you have a good plan, you might spend a little more up front, but you won't be throwing anything away after that.

So, what I described is the not the "best bang for the buck", the cam is, but you need the prior stuff to get to the cam stage. However, that first stage, even without the cam is a huge improvement over stock.

I highly recommend you discuss your options with Fuel Moto, great guys to work with and will offer you sound advice within your budget and won't try to upsell.
getting a little more power has always made me want to get a little more more power. If you are the same way, plan accordingly. A few extra bucks may help your next stage and stop you from throwing money out the window. (Or just skip to the last step and put a 120r in)

Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Then why own one? I have 55k largely trouble free miles on my 2009, stock, FLHTC.
+1 !!! You and a whole bunch of other riders. I will never understand why people continue to buy products that they then bitch about how bad they are.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Downshifting and getting about 3000 rpm will do wonders for a stock engine. And it's free!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

All things being equal I found the thread title quite humorous.

There is big difference between "wanting" and "needing" more HP.

I didn't need more HP but I installed the Stage I, PC and true duals with V&H fishtail slip-ons. Gave me a little more HP which is a by-product of everything.

If we got as much out of everything we pay for on our bikes we would have maximum HP, be getting 75 MPG and all the heads turning to check us out.

My best suggestion would be open a separate bank account meant entirely for your bike. You're gonna need it. Have fun.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
getting a little more power has always made me want to get a little more more power. If you are the same way, plan accordingly. A few extra bucks may help your next stage and stop you from throwing money out the window. (Or just skip to the last step and put a 120r in)
Exactly, but don't skip to the last step right away, because 6 months later, you'll want MORE POWER! That's why I like to do it in stages with a plan ...... gain some power, say "WOW" for a while, get used to it, NEED MORE POWER, gain some power, say "WOW" for a while, get used to it, NEED MORE POWER, gain some power, say "WOW" for a while, get used to it, NEED MORE POWER, sell it because Harley came out with a new engine that you can start all over with because you ......................... NEED MORE POWER! Have fun! I have more power than I will ever need, going to add more next month, but I love knowing it's there and feeling those occassional bursts when I decide to use it.

Last edited by frog13; 02-17-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Corrected my spelling, have a great fear of grammar cops
Old 02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
classic53
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ruh-roh! Here we go!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Need more power!