Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm tall, here's what I did to my FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I'm tall, here's what I did to my FLHTCU

I'm 6'3" with a 32" inseam. It would be a longer inseam except my gut gets in the way. I'm tall. It's pretty great except for two things: people ask you to move/grab/lift stuff a lot and Harleys don't fit well.

I'm on my 2nd touring bike and here's what I've done (in order of effect):

#1 HD Tallboy Seat: This alone will get you about 80% of where you want to be. Having your boys on the tank isn't a pretty thing. I haven't tried any other seats because this one works and I don't want to spend $500 to experiment.

#2 HD Extended Footboard Kit: These push the footboards up 1" and work fine with the lower fairing.

#2 Soos Footboard Widening Kit: These push the footboards out 1" and work fine with the lower fairing. I know there are parts that do both in one kit, but this is what I went with and I know it works well. I haven't found any issues with easier footboard scraping (not that I try).

#3 HD Extended Shifter, Extended Brake Lever: These go well with the extended footboards.

#4 HD Long Stem Mirror: In my leather, my shoulder took up 3/4 of the mirror. I've never considered these a tall rider part but they help.

BONUS: HD Back Rest and Bracket: If you like backrests, the Tallboy seat can be tricky. The back rest and bracket on the furthest setting still push you forward negating the benefit of the seat. I solved this problem by:

1. Put the tongue part of the bracket on top of the piece that attaches to the frame. This will give you a little more angle.

2. Bend the backrest. This like salt, you can add but you can't take away. It will take some whacking to get it to bend, but here's how I did it:

I took a W curl bar and put 35lb plates on it with collars. A plate on each side makes it easier to handle. I put a 45lb plate on the garage floor and put the backrest, face/front part down on the 45lb plate. Where I wanted to bend, I put about 1" away from the edge. The bend was near the leather part of the backrest so it would fit in the bracket at all 3 settings. Whack the backrest by holding onto the W curl bar where the weights slide on so you have more control. You probably won't be able to bend them evenly, so bend each pole a little bit, one pole at a time.

Now I have the ultimate cushy setup for a tall rider. The girlfriend likes her seat as long as a take the backrest off. She makes a better backrest anyway (with built in heater!)

Hope this helps the taller fellas out there.

Here's a pic of the setup:

Last edited by Clubber; 02-23-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Thanks for the tips

Maybe consider moving that tourpak back an inch or so to give the OL some room. That's what I had to do with my Mustang Supertouring seat with backrest and my girl is tiny.

The one thing I don't get is moving the floor boards forward. The way it is, my heel rests on the floor board, but toes hit the lowers. How does moving the boards forward help?

The extended shift lever helped me immensely. I also ditched the heel shift.

Nice bike btw.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So what do you think of the Tallboy? I'm trying to decide between that, a Supertouring from mustang, or something lower profile with some movement back. I like the way the 2012 SG seat feels and I might even get that. When I sit on the SG it makes me feel less crowded and accepts my adjustable backrest. Not sure tho. Gonna try a test fit of the tallboy at a dealer and somehow I am going to find out as much as I can about the Mustang. I already emailed em to get more info.

Everything else ya did is going to be mods I plan on as well. As well as highway pegs. I had the dealer swap some off another 08 when I got mine, but I didn't take notice how far back they came, and they are too close for me..they are the longer HD ones. So they will end up for sale for someone with shorter legs so I can purchase new shorter ones. I'll probably get the Kuryakyn ones.

Lemme ask ya about your passenger tho.. mine feels cramped because of the speakerpods.... does yours feel those hinder her legs movement? Without them my wife could move her legs in and out, but with the pods it limits how far she can go.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Thanks for the tips

Maybe consider moving that tourpak back an inch or so to give the OL some room. That's what I had to do with my Mustang Supertouring seat with backrest and my girl is tiny.
I looked underneath the tour pak and it's on the furthest setting. Girlie is happy with it because she used to ride on the back of my Fatboy, so the dresser is a big improvement.

Originally Posted by nevada72
The one thing I don't get is moving the floor boards forward. The way it is, my heel rests on the floor board, but toes hit the lowers. How does moving the boards forward help?
I noticed my feet were always on the outside front sides of the boards hanging over which was fine, but the back 1/2 of the boards were wasted. Now that the boards are centered right under my feet, I can move my feet around more. It also just feels like a more natural fit. I also got rid of the heel shifter.

Originally Posted by Nut08Ultra
So what do you think of the Tallboy?
It feels pretty good. I can ride an hour and a half before the monkey butt starts and I need to stop at 2. A quick stretch break and I'm fine again. A friend of mine has the mustang on his 2001 RKC and I had him sit on the tallboy and he said it felt the same. I'd like to try the Mustang super touring to see if I can stretch out the time between the stops but I'm afraid it won't be much of an improvement.

Originally Posted by Nut08Ultra
Lemme ask ya about your passenger tho.. mine feels cramped because of the speakerpods.... does yours feel those hinder her legs movement? Without them my wife could move her legs in and out, but with the pods it limits how far she can go.
I just asked her and she said she was fine. She shifts forwards and backwards sometimes, so maybe when she's forward she can spread her legs out more.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL 6,3 Your not tall. Try being 6,10

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 AM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get your girl the adjustable pegs to go with her boards and she will fall in love with you all over again. It's only fair if you get to stretch out your legs she can too!!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:21 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber
I'm 6'3" with a 32" inseam. It would be a longer inseam except my gut gets in the way. I'm tall. It's pretty great except for two things: people ask you to move/grab/lift stuff a lot and Harleys don't fit well.

I'm on my 2nd touring bike and here's what I've done (in order of effect):

#1 HD Tallboy Seat: This alone will get you about 80% of where you want to be. Having your boys on the tank isn't a pretty thing. I haven't tried any other seats because this one works and I don't want to spend $500 to experiment.

#2 HD Extended Footboard Kit: These push the footboards up 1" and work fine with the lower fairing.

#2 Soos Footboard Widening Kit: These push the footboards out 1" and work fine with the lower fairing. I know there are parts that do both in one kit, but this is what I went with and I know it works well. I haven't found any issues with easier footboard scraping (not that I try).

#3 HD Extended Shifter, Extended Brake Lever: These go well with the extended footboards.

#4 HD Long Stem Mirror: In my leather, my shoulder took up 3/4 of the mirror. I've never considered these a tall rider part but they help.

BONUS: HD Back Rest and Bracket: If you like backrests, the Tallboy seat can be tricky. The back rest and bracket on the furthest setting still push you forward negating the benefit of the seat. I solved this problem by:

1. Put the tongue part of the bracket on top of the piece that attaches to the frame. This will give you a little more angle.

2. Bend the backrest. This like salt, you can add but you can't take away. It will take some whacking to get it to bend, but here's how I did it:

I took a W curl bar and put 35lb plates on it with collars. A plate on each side makes it easier to handle. I put a 45lb plate on the garage floor and put the backrest, face/front part down on the 45lb plate. Where I wanted to bend, I put about 1" away from the edge. The bend was near the leather part of the backrest so it would fit in the bracket at all 3 settings. Whack the backrest by holding onto the W curl bar where the weights slide on so you have more control. You probably won't be able to bend them evenly, so bend each pole a little bit, one pole at a time.

Now I have the ultimate cushy setup for a tall rider. The girlfriend likes her seat as long as a take the backrest off. She makes a better backrest anyway (with built in heater!)

Hope this helps the taller fellas out there.
#6 Maybe should be counting lessons.

Just kidding, sounds great and looks good, if being too tall is your problem. Not me, I'm just a shorty.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by hockey8787
Get your girl the adjustable pegs to go with her boards and she will fall in love with you all over again. It's only fair if you get to stretch out your legs she can too!!
+100. Putting those things on along with the Soos extenders made a world of difference in her comfort.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 PM
NClawDog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I based my first mods for my new FLHTCU off of this post. I have ordered everything except the seat. Still trying to decide on which seat. But this thread was awesome!!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM
dbrow6272
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an FLHTCU and a short inseam. I want to lower and narrow the seat and also push me forward a few inches. Can I accomplish this at my home? I've seen upholster ers use electric knives to cut the foam. That I can handle. What to use to cut the plastic bottom? Would a "sabre saw" do it? I know I'll need some glue to glue some foam to the "butt bucket" on the seat to set me forward.
Any replies or help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: I'm tall, here's what I did to my FLHTCU