Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving the passenger backrest back a few inches, whats needed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
2011_Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed..

Old 02-25-2012, 04:17 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,378 Likes on 10,032 Posts

Originally Posted by marvo75
I have the quick release passenger backrest and rear rack. I dont really keep em on the bike unless the wife is with me, is there anyway of moving the backrest back a few inches? Do they sell anything to do this? Is there a cheap mod to do it?
sprinter1551 has just what you are looking for....I bought a set from him
last month, and they are just what the doctor ordered.

Maybe contact him off-line if he doesn't respond here...I looked to see if
I had saved any type of a link, and couldn't find any.

I believe he is a mechanical engineer and travels often....

I'll highly recommend him and his product.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM
marvo75
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I messaged sprinter and he told me they wouldnt work on my bike. I think he thought i had the tour pack, i replied that i just had a quick release backrest and rack not a tour pack. Waiting on him to reply back...

Old 02-28-2012, 01:13 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marvo75
Got any install pics, and some before and after pics...Really interested man thanks...
Marvo, only pics I have are of the bracket that I had posted there. I traded the bike a while back. If you look at the rear bracket, the mount used to be in the "top forward" hole, I'm not sure what the other holes are actually for,never used them for anything. If you take the mounts off the rear bracket and put your backrest on, you can rotate it downward and see how the further downward you rotate it, the more the backrest moves back. Amazingly, you can't really tell by looking at it after it is done, no one will ever know, the 1-1 1/2" isn't noticeable, but your passenger will surely know the difference. I'm sure it drops teh backrest down, but ever so slightly, maybe 1/4" or so? I just rotated it until I was about halfway between the top and bottom hole, marked it, drilled it, added the mount and hooked it up. Then the other side is ready to be drilled because the backrest is lined up and secured on the mount you just relocated. Make sense?

Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
marvo75
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frog13
Marvo, only pics I have are of the bracket that I had posted there. I traded the bike a while back. If you look at the rear bracket, the mount used to be in the "top forward" hole, I'm not sure what the other holes are actually for,never used them for anything. If you take the mounts off the rear bracket and put your backrest on, you can rotate it downward and see how the further downward you rotate it, the more the backrest moves back. Amazingly, you can't really tell by looking at it after it is done, no one will ever know, the 1-1 1/2" isn't noticeable, but your passenger will surely know the difference. I'm sure it drops teh backrest down, but ever so slightly, maybe 1/4" or so? I just rotated it until I was about halfway between the top and bottom hole, marked it, drilled it, added the mount and hooked it up. Then the other side is ready to be drilled because the backrest is lined up and secured on the mount you just relocated. Make sense?
Yes it does, after eyeballing it i see what i have to do. Thanks a ton for the pics and advice, i'm gonna make some brackets and get some nice hardware to finish it up with . Will probably do it all next week.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is how I moved mine back 2". I left the strap long until I found out how far back the wife wanted to go.

Attached Thumbnails Moving the passenger backrest back a few inches, whats needed...-dsci1706.jpg   Moving the passenger backrest back a few inches, whats needed...-dsci1709.jpg  
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
koz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the ideas, I've been wanting to do this for a while.