Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 12" Bagger Apes with ABS...on the cheap

Old 02-25-2012, 05:13 PM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing 12" Bagger Apes with ABS...on the cheap

Haven't posted on here in some time. Did many searches over the last few days but haven't definitively found parts needed to do the job myself.

Want to install 12" Apes on my 2011 SG with ABS and E-Throttle. I took the fairing and tank off earlier this morning to see how much cable Harness there is in hopes of using whats there and not have to buy any extensions (E-Throttle, ABS line).

Here's what I think I'll need:

1. Clutch Cable +4 or re-route?
2. Brake line from ABS unit to block on bottom Triple Tree. Although it looks like I may be able to re-route and gain the needed slack.

From what I see it looks like the electrical harnesses have enough slack.

Local HD dudes told me that if I break into the ABS line that the bike will not brake correctly because it will need to be pressure filled?

JP Cycle told me that if I have to extend the E-Throttle wire do not solder extensions because it will change the resistance? And I should buy the kit for $100...

Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Nightrain04
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just about to post on this same subject as I am seriously considering putting prime apes on my SG.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:37 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I put Burly 13" 1 1/4" apes on my 2011 SG. I reused the stock brake line, just unclipped it at the neck. I bought the 32310-08 twist grip sensor in line. I used a +6" clutch cable from drag. Did unloosen the front brake banjo fitting and rebled fluid line. Bought $45 dollar extensions for wires.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ebay sells 12" Monkey bars for $340. Clutch and brake lines from LA Choppers for 12- 14" bars is $250 if you can get 20% off. Add your own wire extensions. Buy a trans gasket. Shrink tube, and hand lotion. Let the fun begin.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
fannin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed 12" MBB on my 2008 Street Glide. I don't have ABS but i used a +8 brake line which was plenty. Also used +8 on the clutch. For the wires I ran them threw the bars then added 8" extensions from Novello. Also used the 32310-08 grip sensor which made it really easy to install.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:25 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fryeca
Haven't posted on here in some time. Did many searches over the last few days but haven't definitively found parts needed to do the job myself.

Want to install 12" Apes on my 2011 SG with ABS and E-Throttle. I took the fairing and tank off earlier this morning to see how much cable Harness there is in hopes of using whats there and not have to buy any extensions (E-Throttle, ABS line).

Here's what I think I'll need:

1. Clutch Cable +4 or re-route?
2. Brake line from ABS unit to block on bottom Triple Tree. Although it looks like I may be able to re-route and gain the needed slack.

From what I see it looks like the electrical harnesses have enough slack.

Local HD dudes told me that if I break into the ABS line that the bike will not brake correctly because it will need to be pressure filled?

JP Cycle told me that if I have to extend the E-Throttle wire do not solder extensions because it will change the resistance? And I should buy the kit for $100...
I installed 12 inch Bagger Apes this fall on my '06 SG. Do not have ABS or TBW - but went with +6 on all brake, clutch, and throttle cables and ran wires interally. +6 was plenty following all the "stock routes".

Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put 14" santee $105 to my door on ebay, $87 for 8+ cables and $12 for fluid and banjo washers. murrys cycles has them the cheapest on ebay,you can do the santee 11" and not change a cable but dont plan on using fairing mount mirrors,By the way I didn't extend 1 wire I just rerouted under fairing and only got 8+ cables because I know I will go bigger next winter

Attached Thumbnails Installing 12" Bagger Apes with ABS...on the cheap-2011-apes.jpg   Installing 12" Bagger Apes with ABS...on the cheap-2011.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 AM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buggy - you may nailed it...I'll check out your leads on eBay.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cables were from drag ,just plain black. On the abs block leave brake line loose and pump lever to get fluid through then tighten . Mine works fine

Old 02-27-2012, 12:45 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fryeca
Bull ****. Anytime you break the contiuous line of copper, there is going to be greater resistance. it does not matter if you use plugs or solder. However, if you solder correctly you will get less resistance. Just FYI.

I know plenty of riders who put on apes and soldered their TBW and have had no problems. I'm putting on 14" wild ones on my SG and I'm going to solder all of my connections.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing 12" Bagger Apes with ABS...on the cheap