Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor build & resale value? does it hurt?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 AM
jjkrueg
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default motor build & resale value? does it hurt?

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a FM 107 build. Just wondering for those of you that have had motor work done, did it hurt or help when it came time to sell your bike. I know accessories basically do nothing for value, but was wondering what effect a motor build could have on resale value. Thanks all.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,519 Likes on 3,048 Posts

Just my opinion: You built it to ride it hard. You're gonna' beat on it some. (Stage I or Stage II wasn't enough for you.)

So if you're lucky, I'll give you what I'd give a guy with a more stock/slightly modded motor. Maybe a little less.

You build it for yourself, not the resale...

Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 461 Likes on 128 Posts

My opinion.... I would never buy a bike with motor mods. It would always be on my mind, who did the work? Was it done properly? With a warranty? What good would a warranty be if I bought a bike 1000 miles away? Was it done in a garage by a weekend warrior? And I would be inclined not to believe anything involving that anyway. If I'm buying used, I want BONE STOCK. Not something somebody built to hot rod around or beat on. But that's just me.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way I buy a used bike with a motor build. Most of the mechanical problems people have with their bikes are due to the mods they have made to the bikes. You built it. You keep it.
JMO
Ratkiller

Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO it doesn't matter. Your net gain/loss is going to be zero. Unless you have a show bike you are going to be pretty close to book value. Maybe a five to ten percent bump, but that's it.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 AM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I would not even consider a used bike with a built motor.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratkiller
No way I buy a used bike with a motor build. Most of the mechanical problems people have with their bikes are due to the mods they have made to the bikes. You built it. You keep it.
JMO
Ratkiller
I understand that position, but take a look around the forum and think about what insurmountable mechanical troubles are you seeing most frequently? You will find few to none.

The reality is the downside of engine builds are minimal and most are related to tuning which a good dyno operator can deal with in short order. JMHO.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not buy a bike with a modded motor, but I also would not hesitate to mod mine if I wanted more performance.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say that most who would not buy a used bike with a modded motor, ride bikes without a modded motor. I would not hesitate to buy one because those that have done it either know how to take care of it or are not hesitant to spend money to do so. I also would like to state that I have seen more riders "beating" on unmodded bikes than those that don't have to for the same enjoyment.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 AM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would never buy one with a motor build. I prefer stock. I never have understood why spend the money and time to make something that was built to be on a public street/highway go faster, when it is already fast enough to get you killed. JMO

Ride safe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: motor build & resale value? does it hurt?