Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tyring to decide between 2 bikes. I got a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tyring to decide between 2 bikes. I got a question

Well, I will be adding a tourer to my stable this Fall, and I'm trying to decide between a Road King or a Street glide. I want mag wheels and hard bags and I am finding it harder to find a good deal on a road king with all of those. I keep finding used electra glides that are cheaper and I figure I can remove the tourpaks when I want, but that fairing is where I have some questions

So my question isn't a "what would you pick" question. I want to know how hard it is to remove the fairing from a street glide? will wires just disconnect like my jeep doors when I want to remove them? or is it a long pain in the ***?

I want to feel the wind on my face but maybe that will just be kept for my sporty

Looking forward to your recommendations as well, Since this will be an add to my motorcycle count, I am not to worried about buying a used one (under 13 yrs) cuz I can fix it up and still have another bike to ride when I am doing so. I hate the feeling of a bike disassembled and a beautiful day out.

I have not test drove all different engine sizes on the 2 different models either so I don't know what the newest models ride like but I'm not in that cost range anyway. trying to keep it low teens and under

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggDogg
I want to know how hard it is to remove the fairing from a street glide? will wires just disconnect like my jeep doors when I want to remove them? or is it a long pain in the ***?
I would not buy a SG if you want to remove the fairing to have the wind in your face!It is not a quick detach fairing.

As far as removing the outer fairing to do work inside,it's easy to remove.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 02-27-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
I would not by a SG if you want to remove the fairing to have the wind in your face!It is not a quick detach fairing.

As far as removing the outer fairing to do work inside,it's easy to remove.

Noted, that's what I was thinking but I had to ask someone who doesn't work for the sale

Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

There are a ton of wires,connectors and the radio.

You could get a detachable fairing for a Road King.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 02-27-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, That's my dilemma.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 AM
RDKNG2011
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny i moved from a nightster to a road king last year.. not saying i would never own a fairing bike but for the look i was going for there is no contest road king all the way i'll keep mine for life

Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I absolutely hated the fairing. Takes a lot away from the riding experience in my opinion. Traded my 11 Limited in on an 11 Road King Classic. Everyone has a Street Glide. Go to the local bike night and count the number of black Street Glides there are.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 02-27-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fairing is something you like or hate. You can't take it off the street glide without a lot of mods. The clutch cable, throttle cable, and I think brake line all run through the fairing. All the electronics are in there as well. It's a mess once you get the front cover off, I think you would have to totally redo the bike.

One of my riding buddies has an '04 RK. The second year he owned it he order an aftermarket fairing for it. I think it was around $900 after getting it painted to match. It came with a stereo and 4 speakers. It has a quick detach connector and uses the hardware for the HD windshield, so he can switch back and forth very easy, although he hasn't had the windshield on it since he got the fairing.

If you're going touring and adding to the stable why not go with an Ultra or Electra Glide Classic? You can always put the quick detach hardware on the tour pack. I can have mine off in about 30 seconds. The old lady won't ride unless it's on though, says it is way more comfortable than the sissy bar.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

That's the thing, I go for long trips on the sporty and would love to do longer trips with the OL. But I also like being able to have nothing infront of me at all if I want to just back road cruise without worrying about filling up every 100 miles. I feel like the full fairing and all its wires and components might be a bit overwhelming for me for now. Plus, I have a feeling in a couple years I'll have some kids and that will take my OL out of riding for a bit and the stereo in the fairing would be for her pleasure anyway. Hmm

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Do a search here for radio/amp installs and you will see pics of all the junk thats behind the fairings!

Quick Reply: tyring to decide between 2 bikes. I got a question