Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time for me to upgrade to the SE compensator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help! Is it time for me to upgrade to the SE compensator?

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Road King Classic with 13k miles on it. Recently, I pulled the stock cams and replaced them with SE255 cams, new Torrington bearings, and FM's adjustable pushrods. Since doing that job, I've been very aware of any knocking that might be coming from the pushrods. Well, my pushrods sound fine. But, I am still hearing a pretty noticeable metallic knock and I think it's coming from the primary side of the engine...maybe even from the front of the primary. It is especially noticeable when the bike is in gear and I'm riding at slow speeds and low RPMs.

I've done reading/searching on the forum and it seems that my stock compensator might be going bad which would cause this knocking inside my primary. Also, my bike doesn't start up very smoothly either. I think this is also a symptom of a bad compensator???

What do you guys think? I can do the SE compensator myself but don't want to if there is a good probability that it is something else.

Last edited by fenderzig; 02-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

I'd upgrade to the SE comp. I'd play with the gearing too.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I would not ride the bike again until I pulled the primary cover to see what is going on in there. And regardless of what you find, if you already have the cover off, it would be silly not to upgrade the compensator while you are in there.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same thing going on with my '07 RK Custom. It's torn apart for ape hanger install right now and I'll be taking the primary off to check the bolt here in the next few days hopefully. I've only had it a few months and it only has 4500 miles on it. I would hope the compensator would last longer than that, but it could be a loose compensator bolt.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Hey guys,

...It is especially noticeable when the bike is in gear and I'm riding at slow speeds and low RPMs.
Just to confirm, mine happens when most often when at low speeds or lower rpm and I give it some gas. I'll hear a single soft-ish clunk. It also can happen in 5th or 6th if I am coasting and give it some gas.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

You said hard starting. A common complaint on compensator problems is a very noisy, clunking, starting. This seems to be accentuated when the bike is hot.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 PM
fenderzig
Road Master

Originally Posted by sedouglas
Just to confirm, mine happens when most often when at low speeds or lower rpm and I give it some gas. I'll hear a single soft-ish clunk. It also can happen in 5th or 6th if I am coasting and give it some gas.
Mine isn't so much a "clunk" as much as a consistent, metallic knocking. . . almost like someone is tapping on the primary cover with a small hammer -- at least I think it's in the primary. I just don't know

Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

aren't you supposed to install heavy duty clutch springs when you up-grade the cams?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
fenderzig
Road Master

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
You said hard starting. A common complaint on compensator problems is a very noisy, clunking, starting. This seems to be accentuated when the bike is hot.
Yes, hard starting...There's a loud, almost "explosion" when it starts. On occasion, when its hot, it won't start the first time and just blows an annoying cough out the breather. It'll start right up the next time I hit the starter.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan conner
aren't you supposed to install heavy duty clutch springs when you up-grade the cams?
Not necessarily!

Quick Reply: Is it time for me to upgrade to the SE compensator?