Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory hookup for battery tender?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Challenger
My dealer puts them on all new bikes. Mine comes out down by oil cap.
+1....exactly where mine is. I've bought 2 HDs so far, one in vermont and one in florida and both had them.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mkekid
When bought new in 08',mine came dealer installed. (Lower left on picture)
My dealer puts one on every bike they sell, new or used. On my RKC it is in a similar place to this photo--above the oil dipstick. On my Sporty I couldn't find it until I took the cover off and was about to install one myself and found it tucked up under the seat on the left side of the bike. You'll just need to look around. Or go to the battery and look for a wire with an inline fuse and follow it. That may be your tender pigtail.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer puts one on every bike...new or used. Has a big box in the back full of pigtails...if you need one, he'll give you one. He gave me two of them a couple of weeks ago for my two portable generators! As Charlie Sheen would say, "Winning!"

Steve

Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 AM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya my 09 didn't come pre-installed by either factory or the dealer...had to do it myself (which I think sucked of course)....but at least its done

Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLives
I have also noticed it the bike was orig from a warmer climate they did NOT come with them...
Im in Arizona and it came with one right above the oil fill/ dipstick....it doesnt get any hotter than Arizona...not by much anyway...

Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,289 Likes on 21,381 Posts

My dealer would not have done it had I not asked.
I keep mine on the left side by the saddle bag so it can be tucked in and out of site and "pull it out" when it is needed which is after I get home.

I keep it on the tender all the time too( 24/7/365) when the bike is home.
I think that it adds to the longevity of the battery, but @ 3.5 years(09)
I am thinking the battery even though being on the tender all the time is starting to show signs of failure.

So better safe than sorry and will be replacing in the next month or 2.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 AM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LarryLives
I have also noticed it the bike was orig from a warmer climate they did NOT come with them...
2nd Harley from Caliente H-D in South Texas (HOT as HELL) and both were per-installed by dealer. They install them on all bikes both new and used.

Mine is up by left saddlebag lid, close to the shocks air valve.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Thomkm
Novice

Originally Posted by Nut08Ultra
For some reason I want to say that when I purchased my battery tenders they came with the bike hook-up as well as the hook-up that pinches, like a car cable, for a non permanent application. If it comes with one, just hook that one up yourself. It will take you longer to get to the battery then it will take to install on the battery.
Just purchased a BT jr and it came with all the hook ups u need... took me 10 minutes to hook it up to the battery terminals and attach the plug by the seat. No more taking the seat off to charge it... Sweet !!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM
56tbird
Tourer

My ultra didn't come with it installed. I bought the pigtail kit from summit racing. It took me longer to get the battery top shield off than to install the pigtail.
I routed it to be in back of the right side cover...

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 AM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I asked what the plug was on the bike when I picked up the bike and they informed me it was a battery tender plug. I had installed one on my '02, but apparently now they put them on all (at least all new) bikes. Mine is neatly tie-wrapped along the frame on the left side along the frame behind the top of the saddle bag just forward of the shock air valve.

Quick Reply: Factory hookup for battery tender?