Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find the oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, great suggestions folks. I will get into this tonight after work and report what I find. Really appreciate the ideas! I had not thought of any of these !

Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
bnfzep
Intermediate

My leak was from the seal where starter shaft enters the primary. Maybe doing some of your recent mods, that seal got scratched up removing the starter jackshaft.

They make "oil leak detector dye kits" to add to your oil holes (one at a time) to detect leaks using a UV light and glasses. That's what I had to do to find mine.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

It was a bad Idea for the MoCo to put a zip tie in this area it pulls it sideways and causes a leak when the motor moves and the frame doesn't. When I had it replaced under extended warranty the tech did not put a zip tie back on so it will not pull and move freely. They seem to be OK unless you work around them then they start to leak.

Attached Thumbnails Can't find the oil leak-my-stator.jpg   Can't find the oil leak-stator-jacket.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 PM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imskier2
It was a bad Idea for the MoCo to put a zip tie in this area it pulls it sideways and causes a leak when the motor moves and the frame doesn't. When I had it replaced under extended warranty the tech did not put a zip tie back on so it will not pull and move freely. They seem to be OK unless you work around them then they start to leak.
Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Try looking here!!!

Mine just started leaking there a few weeks ago after 38k miles.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
classic53
Tourer

Another thing to check, since the oil seems to migrate to the left side, is the oil cooler adapter. That is if you have one. Hd_rolling put up a great picture of where one possibility is as I thought this was my culprit, but upon closer look, it turned out to be my oil cooler adapter.

Something else to look at.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM
cobaltt
Tourer
Received 135 Likes on 67 Posts

clean that stator plug real good with carb or brake cleaner,let it dry then apply high temp black rtv silicone. problem solved. worked for me.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:03 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some times when a leak is hard to find I clean the suspect area with brake clean let dry and then dust it well with talcum powder or baby powder. The leak is easy to spot.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

You wouldn't believe the mess this made under my bike before I found it. Did some searches on the forums about leaks and this are comes up A LOT!!! Can't believe its not a recall. I believe its the connecter that goes to the stator. Under your ol filter beside the shifter side of the bike. This little gap let the whole bottom of my bike get covered, and everything a round it making it hard to find. At first it was just a pesky drop here and there that I would see under my primary. I tightened dowm the primary drain plug and primary bolts, took off the oil filter to make sure I didn't have two or no oil filter gaskets.

I did the messes fix and added black Silicone around it, its out of the way so you can't see it and the leak is gone.
Try taking a look. If your bike is under warranty the deal might fix it.
I had the leak where the exhaust bolts to the transmission case. Took it into the dealer for the leak and to fix the recall on the rear brake switch. Dealer also found the same leak at the stator and fixed that as well - all under warranty.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 PM
g-rat
Cruiser

I would suggest geting some dye for your oil and a black light yellow saftey glasses too that will help you pinpoint were ur leak is coming from just my 2cents

Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Try looking here!!!

Thanks mine was dripping occasionally and I just looked at that wiring plug according to the picture and yep that's where it's coming from.I knew it was primmary oil cause I use three different oils in 3 holes.

Quick Reply: Can't find the oil leak