Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find the oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 AM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find the oil leak

I see that some dirty oil is dripping off the bottom of the primary cover. I can't seem to find where it is coming from. We changed the inner primary seal even though it didn't look bad and re-installed. It is hard to say what the oil is, primary, transmission, or engine.

Now I'm wondering if it is coming from the other side of the bike and running across the crossmember on the frame.

Difficult to see where it is coming from. We were sure it was the inner primary seal, but there was no indication to support that other than that is where the excess oil was. I guess I wondering if it came from somewhere else and ended up there.

We did just install a Baker tranny, so that was why we thought it might be the inner primary seal. Changing that did not fix the problem though. It didn't leak before the tranny change over.

If not the inner primary seal, any ideas on what else it could be?

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I am getting the same thing, I installed a stage 1 kit last summer and an oil cooler and now I am getting a little bit but I only notice it on the lower side of the bike when it sits on the Jiffy Stand but I have wiped everything down a number of times. I am thinking it is coming out of the air cleaner and somehow dribbling down and over to the low side. When I pull the ac off there is a little bit of oil on it. Makes me crazy trying to find the leak.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM
bmwbutch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure this will help, but twice on different bikes, I've fixed the same problem by replacing the seal where the shifter shaft goes in the transmission. Leaks down and the front pulley blows it everywhere.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:43 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found the easiest way to find an oil leak is to clean all of the oil from the bottom side, warm the engine up without riding it and park it for a day or two. The oil spots on the floor will sometimes be a good indicator where the leaks are.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,392 Likes on 21,384 Posts

Did you check your transmission/exhaust bolts?
They are notorious for going loose.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

First place to start is the oil filter. It is amazing just how far a little oil can get before it decides to drip.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:26 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Did you check your transmission/exhaust bolts?
They are notorious for going loose.

I had both of my exhaust bolt leak last summer. It sure seems like those bolt holes should never have been machined all of the ay through into the oil pan. What a dumb idea.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

Sprinkle or blow some talcum powder on the area...helps trace the leak. I would spray clean with some brake cleaner or carb cleaner then stat with a clean surface...easier to trace.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Try looking here!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

You wouldn't believe the mess this made under my bike before I found it. Did some searches on the forums about leaks and this are comes up A LOT!!! Can't believe its not a recall. I believe its the connecter that goes to the stator. Under your ol filter beside the shifter side of the bike. This little gap let the whole bottom of my bike get covered, and everything a round it making it hard to find. At first it was just a pesky drop here and there that I would see under my primary. I tightened dowm the primary drain plug and primary bolts, took off the oil filter to make sure I didn't have two or no oil filter gaskets.

I did the messes fix and added black Silicone around it, its out of the way so you can't see it and the leak is gone.
Try taking a look. If your bike is under warranty the deal might fix it.

Quick Reply: Can't find the oil leak