Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/742174-oem-180mm-tire-install-on-a-07-or-08-a-how-to.html)

Batman7349 03-10-2012 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Recycled (Post 9503688)
I would rather spend a few hours disecting a swing arm than laying out the cash they want for a kit. I did it because I can.

I have to agree with you 110%, because you can!!! Great Job:icon_beerchug:

JohnCA58 03-10-2012 09:12 AM

Understandable, I prefer to do all mods rather than buying a kit.

classic53 03-10-2012 11:15 AM

Wouldn't the CVO swingarm bolt right up to your frame? Or, did I miss something.

Either way, great job with what you did. I wish I could weld.

Mike 03-10-2012 11:27 AM

boogaloodude, the fatbagger kit is one way to go, if you want to spend the money. I don't believe they use OEM wheels with an IDS though.

Hope you don't think I was knocking what you've done, because that's not the case at all. I think what you've done is exceptional work, and I've considered tracking down a CVO swingarm for the same thing, but that gets costly pretty quickly. For a hundred bucks, the FBI spacer kit is a bucks down way to get access to a wider tire for the 07-08 bikes, just wanted to point the way for the guys who are interested in this type of mod.

I would rather spend a few hours disecting a swing arm than laying out the cash they want for a kit. I did it because I can.

absolutely, the same reason I do all of my engine work myself.

Recycled 03-10-2012 11:55 AM

Boogaloodude, don't think for a second that I took anything as criticism. I love to hear what everyone has to say. Thats why I'm here. I appreciate all opinions.
Anyone that has attempted this mod will tell you that it is a game of mere fractions of an inch. The whole point of this mod revolves around the use of OEM wheels & tires that can be bought very reasonably from guy/shops doing trike conversions. I am aware that there is more than one way to skin a cat. I consider myself to be informed and up to date, thanks to forums such as this and my 40 plus years of dinking with these bikes. This was an exercise of doing it cheap and reaping the benefit of new wheels & tires, bearings, a IDS that I never had on my '07 and being able to use my stock belt. I can also resell the set of 3 2010 rotors, my '07 fender, wheels and tires. That is all on the plus side. There were also a few bumps along the way, mistakes made, and a few things that could be considered taking a step backwards. It is what it is.

PS - classic53, that was only a pic of a CVO swingarm comparison that member DanDman sent me. I don't have one, they are difficult to find.

SugsPa 03-13-2012 08:27 PM

Excellent Job!!! Like most people on here, I would love to have the skill to perform such a task.

SugsPa

Recycled 03-14-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by SugsPa (Post 9519880)
Excellent Job!!! Like most people on here, I would love to have the skill to perform such a task.SugsPa

Thanks SugsPa but I think anyone with the most basic assembly skills can do this. The most difficult part was the disecting of the swingarm. It is a dirty job that you will wear down a few cutting wheels in your disc grinder. The bending was done by a shop with a press and the welding by a friend. The only skill I used is my powers of persuasion.:icon_hunter::icon_goofygrin:
I will help anyone with any questions if they decide to do this.

Recycled 06-10-2012 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just an update after the finished installation. Over a thousand miles of roads travelled since the mod. Handles great, alignment is perfect. Well worth the effort!

DanDman 06-10-2012 06:29 PM

Great job Ron! Now it's my turn to get inspired. I have a couple of shelving units full of parts that I need to get on my bike.

Recycled 06-10-2012 10:08 PM

Thanks Dan. I know the hard part is getting started and with the good riding weather here its even harder. Thats why I need another bike or two in the stable.:icon_idea1: