Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't figure out why oil filter is leaking in 09 RK

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Kanebanger
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't figure out why oil filter is leaking on 09 RK

I noticed about two weeks ago my RK had left a couple of spots on the garage floor. It was time for a change anyways, so I changed the oil, replaced the filter, cleaned everthing up then took it out for a spin. The next day there were two fresh drops of oil on the garage floor. It seems to be leaking right where the filter connects to the oil filter housing. I figured it was just a bad gasket on filter so I went to the local HD and got a new filter, jacked the front of the bike up, swapped the filter, sprayed everthing down with brake cleaner, and wiped up every last drop of oil that I could find. When I road into work this morning I noticed that it was still leaking. Has anyone heard of the flange on the filter housing where the filter sits becoming warped? That is really the only thing I can think of right now. Three different filters have had the same problem and every time I replace them I make sure the flange is clean (no cracks in it either), wet the gasket on the new filter, and spin it till it touches then 1/2 turn to 1 full turn after that. Anyone heard of leakage problems from the housing?

Last edited by Kanebanger; 03-13-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure it is not just dirt on the flange? Also did you coat the seal on the filter with motor oil before you put it on?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Kanebanger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
Are you sure it is not just dirt on the flange? Also did you coat the seal on the filter with motor oil before you put it on?
No dirt on the flange and I coated the filter

Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

I cannot imagine it warping as it is a big chunk of metal, you may want to check the area around the filter in case one of the joints there is leaking, have you got an oil cooler?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Kanebanger
Road Captain

No oil cooler, I've been keeping an eye on it every night for a week now, and it is definitely starting right where the filter connects to the housing. It's an extremely odd place to have a constant leak and I cannot figure out why for the life of me.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

Unless the thread is damaged where the filter screws on.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Kanebanger
Road Captain

I've also had three different pairs of eyes from guys that do all of their own wrenching look at it and they all confirmed that it was leaking from the same spot. None of them had any idea why either.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Kanebanger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
Unless the thread is damaged where the filter screws on.
I know that the actual threads are good because I took a look at them and they are all fine, unless it is somehow got pushed in one direction and now is causing the filter to sit unevenly against the flange. It would take a pretty big jolt to through that thing off, and I don't think it's replaceable from what I can tell.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
pscyclepath
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you left the old seal on during last change.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kanebanger
I know that the actual threads are good because I took a look at them and they are all fine, unless it is somehow got pushed in one direction and now is causing the filter to sit unevenly against the flange. It would take a pretty big jolt to through that thing off, and I don't think it's replaceable from what I can tell.
That is what I was thinking, could even be a manufacturing defect, just had a look at the microfiche on this and the thread is replaceable, I am wondering if it is not seated properly.

Quick Reply: Can't figure out why oil filter is leaking in 09 RK