Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown fuse in cigarette lighter, I think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:22 PM
SamB
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown fuse in cigarette lighter, I think?

I have an 09 Street Glide. I plugged in a device that was cross wired into the cigarette lighter and I think I blew the fuse. I checked my "shop manual" and it did not really provide much info. I called an HD dealer and of course they want me to bring the bike in.

I have checked the fuse box under the left side cover and all fuses are good, (checked with a continuity tester). Is there a dedicated fuse for the lighter, like an inline fuse? And if so, where is it? Or what circuit is the lighter on? I have about gone nuts trying to figure this one out. And yes, it was my stupid fault in the first place.

Thanks, Sam

Old 03-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I am almost positive that is a fused circuit and not a fusible link...Check for power at the plug with a meter. If there is no power there, start pulling fuses...There is one out...

Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Do you have an auxiliary switch on your fairing? (Sorry - I don't know streetglides) If so, turn it on. If the rocker lights up, you have a problem somewhere related to just the cig lighter only. If not (which is most likely) you blew the fuse that controls the aux switch, heated grips (if you have them) and the lighter. For whatever reason it's not obvious, but recheck the fuses. I'll bet that's it.

The following users liked this post:
sM319 (10-01-2017)
Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 PM
SamB
Novice

After The lighter stopped working, I initially did not have power to the Aux switch on the fairing. I found a blown fuse in the fuse box and replaced it. The Aux switch then worked but still not the cig lighter. I checked the wires at the back of the lighter with a tester and there was not any current. I followed the lighter wire in the faring attempting to find an inline fuse with no success. I should add I have checked all other electrics and all work, gauges, lights etc. Don't have heated grips. I will recheck the fuses again.

Thanks for the help.
Sam

Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by SamB
After The lighter stopped working, I initially did not have power to the Aux switch on the fairing. I found a blown fuse in the fuse box and replaced it. The Aux switch then worked but still not the cig lighter. I checked the wires at the back of the lighter with a tester and there was not any current. I followed the lighter wire in the faring attempting to find an inline fuse with no success. I should add I have checked all other electrics and all work, gauges, lights etc. Don't have heated grips. I will recheck the fuses again.

Thanks for the help.
Sam
Man, that's weird. Obviously the short took the fuse out. But after replacing it, I can't imagine why the aux would work and not the lighter. Very strange.

The following users liked this post:
sM319 (10-01-2017)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:14 PM
old v twin
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P & A fuse

Originally Posted by SamB
I have an 09 Street Glide. I plugged in a device that was cross wired into the cigarette lighter and I think I blew the fuse. I checked my "shop manual" and it did not really provide much info. I called an HD dealer and of course they want me to bring the bike in.

I have checked the fuse box under the left side cover and all fuses are good, (checked with a continuity tester). Is there a dedicated fuse for the lighter, like an inline fuse? And if so, where is it? Or what circuit is the lighter on? I have about gone nuts trying to figure this one out. And yes, it was my stupid fault in the first place.

Thanks, Sam

The lighter is on the P & A fuse.

The P & A fuse is on the left middle side of the fuse block. It is a 15 amp fuse.

The following 4 users liked this post by old v twin:
chickenhauler (10-01-2017), gerardgolf@aol.com (12-23-2017), jrphathd (08-28-2017), sM319 (10-01-2017)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

check fuse with continutity tester. Have seen some that look fine but wereblown and I just couldnt see the break

Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 PM
old v twin
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So true

Originally Posted by cdestuck
check fuse with continutity tester. Have seen some that look fine but wereblown and I just couldnt see the break
+1

A look at fuse has fooled a few more than once.

Test it.

The ACC switch will light up if the fuse is working.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 PM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blew my P/A fuse last week and my cig lighter was wired backwards. Might be the case with yours as well.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM
SamB
Novice

Thanks so much old v twin. I replaced the P & A fuse and bingo, it now works. I owe you, I already was beginning to pull my hair out.

Thanks, Sam

Quick Reply: Blown fuse in cigarette lighter, I think?