Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gound location pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Thanks, I knew of the two under the seat, and cleaned them, I will look at the one on the trees. And yes, I do have a service manual.

So, your original post says you know of "one" ground point under the seat, but want to find the second, but you now say you knew of "two under the seat."

Hope you find a solution to your problem.

Carl

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Did you install a load equalizer? My signals did the same thing before I installed one on my bike.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

AHHHHHHHHH Yes! I foud my answer from a post from 2007 by dragonbreath:

I found the following on the web site where I bought my trailer hitch and wiring harness.

What it is telling you isthere is a fault (burned out bulb) or when you reduce the load (removea trailer) on the circuit. Here is a reset procedure:
Grab a handful of brake, turn on ignition, turn on left signal and let flash 4 times, turn off. Do the same with the right signal and then the 4 way flashers. When finished turn off ignition and release the brake. Wait 2 min. and start the bike.
To avoid doing this procedure every time you disconnect the trailer you can install a powered converter/isolator.
It worked!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
So, your original post says you know of "one" ground point under the seat, but want to find the second, but you now say you knew of "two under the seat."

Hope you find a solution to your problem.

Carl
Even though there are 2 under there, I was only considering the one from the battery as a main ground, thought I read on the forum that there were 2 main grounds. My bad

Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AHHHHHHHHH Yes! I foud my answer from a post from 2007 by dragonbreath:
It worked!
GREAT!
and that makes me feel good, as I don't see any way the theory "dirty ground" is the issue in this case (4 way flasher is working.)

Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

I read your previous post on this and it gave me an idea on where to look more closely. I was the one in a previous reply who reported my turn signals do the same as yours on my '01 FLHT.

In your referenced post you described tearing up wiring as the result of lowering your back end and then having to repair it. In my case, I hit a huge pothole last summer and the force of the impact, I learned later, dislodged some wiring that runs under my rear fender. Much later on a road trip I heard and felt a sharp snap while I was running along about 70. I eased over to the side of the road to inspect and found some wiring basically shredded. The harness had evidently finally dropped down all the way on my rear tire and got bound up in my belt. Bike ran fine, but I had no headlight or spots, no brake light and as I recall only 1 turn signal working. Besides being stopped by the cops twice for no headlight made it rest of way back fine.

When I got back home I took it in to my indy mechanic because I needed a new E-3 on the rear and asked him to look at that wiring while he had the wheel off. He fixed me up but ever since then I've had the turn signals flash five times normally and then go into double speed. So, the point of my long story is that since our wiring issues were sort of similar, recheck the wiring job you did under your rear fender...because that's what we have in common. Perhaps there is a local ground back there to be cleaned up. I'll stop into my shop tomorrow and ask them their take on all this.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
I read your previous post on this and it gave me an idea on where to look more closely. I was the one in a previous reply who reported my turn signals do the same as yours on my '01 FLHT.

In your referenced post you described tearing up wiring as the result of lowering your back end and then having to repair it. In my case, I hit a huge pothole last summer and the force of the impact, I learned later, dislodged some wiring that runs under my rear fender. Much later on a road trip I heard and felt a sharp snap while I was running along about 70. I eased over to the side of the road to inspect and found some wiring basically shredded. The harness had evidently finally dropped down all the way on my rear tire and got bound up in my belt. Bike ran fine, but I had no headlight or spots, no brake light and as I recall only 1 turn signal working. Besides being stopped by the cops twice for no headlight made it rest of way back fine.

When I got back home I took it in to my indy mechanic because I needed a new E-3 on the rear and asked him to look at that wiring while he had the wheel off. He fixed me up but ever since then I've had the turn signals flash five times normally and then go into double speed. So, the point of my long story is that since our wiring issues were sort of similar, recheck the wiring job you did under your rear fender...because that's what we have in common. Perhaps there is a local ground back there to be cleaned up. I'll stop into my shop tomorrow and ask them their take on all this.
Before taking it in try the procedure I posted above, very simple and worked like a charm. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Before taking it in try the procedure I posted above, very simple and worked like a charm. Good luck.
LOL..should have read the latest posts. Glad you got it fixed. I'll try the same thing on mine. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM
beaumontbagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a new ground location on triple tree, help?

So I was installing an ARC amp and Sony, tried to use the small ground on the triple tree and broke the small POS screw. So not only is my radio/amp not hooked up, but I don't know what the two other wires that connected to this ground connect to?

Is there another location for a ground near the fairing that I can use for those 2 wires and the new amp ground? I'm trying to stay away from running a 8ga wire from the frame/battery through the tank etc. due to the length and extra work.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 PM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately to get a good ground to your fairing, you need to run a wire directly into the fairing. You cannot rely on metal to metal contact in that area as it is only connected by the steering assembly which is coated in grease, and it moves. Both of those make for a bad electrical connection. Even if you just run a small jumper wire from the frame into the fairing, you will be good to go.