Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8" Subwoofer In the Saddle bags?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 8" Subwoofer In the Saddle bags?

Been working on my stereo system experimenting with the sound and I am wondering where I want to go next. The current setup I have includes the Kenwood BT952HD head unit, with the alpine 180w mini amp, 6x9" Polk 2-way speakers in the batwing, and 6.5" Polk component speakers in the lower fairings. I am wanting to use the 4 speakers I already have for mid and high frequency sound and isolate the bass by using a separate 8" subwoofer mounted in one of my saddle bags. Wondering if this will even fit. Has anyone heard of this and how would this compare to having 6x9" speakers in the saddle bags instead.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
streetg7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an write up in AI magazine that did what you are thinking about. I forget which issue...but you can go to their website & find it. Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by streetg7
There is an write up in AI magazine that did what you are thinking about. I forget which issue...but you can go to their website & find it. Hope this helps.
Thanks

Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Encosi
Cruiser

I actually know someone who has an 8'' sub in each bag. The bass is very nice compared to 6x9's. However, its all about what your looking for. Bass is great for the parking lot but he had to add several tweeters to get the mids and hi's in order to actually hear words. But I will say the bass is bad ***! Of course I still give him **** that my system is louder despite him having more bass!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

That's what we all need, another vibration issue to deal with. Go for it dude! But, where are you going to carry your Sh%T ?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer the thump of 6x9'S ,...versus the humm of a subwoofer.

Had a buddy that just removed 4 of the 6X9 subs, and went back to his Pioneers.

I had seriously considered re-doing my system with a 10" sub in the tour pack,.........but I just didn't like the sound. Then I was considering the 6 X 9 subwoofers,...but they didn't really have that HARD HITTING THUMP that I like.

So,.....as far as bass, .............I'll stand pat with 4 of the Pioneer Premier 6 X 9's.

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 03-27-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Encosi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
I prefer the thump of 6x9'S ,...versus the humm of a subwoofer.

Had a buddy that just removed 4 of the 6X9 subs, and went back to his Pioneers.

I had seriously considered re-doing my system with a 10" sub in the tour pack,.........but I just didn't like the sound. Then I was considering the 6 X 9 subwoofers,...but they didn't really have that HARD HITTING THUMP that I like.

So,.....as far as bass, .............I'll stand pat with 4 of the Pioneer Premier 6 X 9's.
I agree. All around 6X9's just sound better, although it does depend on which 6X's and amp combo you are using.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:50 PM
vantage255
Novice

The punch of a properly powered and filtered 8 inch sub, or even a 6 inch sub, will make a 6x9 run and hide.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:32 PM
will2062
Advanced

I did exactly what you are talking about with my bike. A 2009 SG stock HK radio, 2 ohm front Kicker spkrs, (2) 8" Kicker Subs in my bags along with (2) 5 1/2" Mids and (2) 1" Tweets in the side Lids, along with 2 cross overs in the bags. All is being run thru a 200 watt Alpine Amp. Extremely Loud!!! Sounds Great!!!! Cranked up it is the most crisp and clear sound of any system I have ever compared it to. I have heard louders systems but they sounded like crap. Anyone can make Just Loud Noise!! The trick is to be loud a clear!! As far as Bag room there is still alot of room, more than you think. I will try to get some pics for you if you want.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Encosi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vantage255
The punch of a properly powered and filtered 8 inch sub, or even a 6 inch sub, will make a 6x9 run and hide.
If you talking about just bass then yes you are right, but all around sound 6x9's sound better IMHO.

Quick Reply: 8" Subwoofer In the Saddle bags?