Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Klockwerks windshield really bad...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:36 PM
sergel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Klockwerks windshield really bad...

I don't know if you guys had better luck with it, but I just bought this most expensive windshield and hate it...

Now, I have figured out what the problem is. I was getting this vibration in my helmet... buffeting I figured and read all the threads here and elsewhere... Then I realized something...

The vibration/buffeting was worse at certain RPMs... finally, I was looking at the Klockwerks windshield at those RPMs and noticed it was vibrating pretty bad. So I just pushed on the top of it to stop it from vibrating...and voila, the vibration in the helmet was gone... let go, vibration back... push...vibration gone...

This darn thing is soo thin that it flops and vibrates, putting vibration in the airstream which in turn rattles your helmet... 2 hours of riding at certain RPMs and its a certain headache... at 2000 RPM you can see it floping back and forth... (and yes its screwed in tight enough...)

I don't know if its the shape that makes it so prone to vibration but it has a resonant vibration right at the cruising rpm for a 6 spd... 2500 to 3000 rpm. Real annoying.

Now I am thinking, do I reinforce it with some fiber and epoxy? I have nothing to loose anyway as it is not staying on my bike as is... its way too annoying. I don't mind air, but vibrating air is bad...

Last edited by sergel; 09-22-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I beg to differ...have 8.5" KW on my bike now & had 6.5" previously - both were/are fantastic. Only reason I upgraded was to fit w/s bags on fairing. Are you sure (1) you have the correct height, (2) you have the screws tight & (3) you don't have a broken fairing bracket?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sergel
I don't know if you guys had better luck with it, but I just bought this most expensive windshield and hate it...

Now, I have figured out what the problem is. I was getting this vibration in my helmet... buffeting I figured and read all the threads here and elsewhere... Then I realized something...

The vibration/buffeting was worse at certain RPMs... finally, I was looking at the Klockwerks windshield at those RPMs and noticed it was vibrating pretty bad. So I just pushed on the top of it to stop it from vibrating...and voila, the vibration in the helmet was gone... let go, vibration back... push...vibration gone...

This darn thing is soo thin and cheaply made that it flops and vibrates, putting vibration in the airstream which in turn rattles your helmet... 2 hours of riding at certain RPMs and its a certain headache... at 2000 RPM you can see it floping back and forth... (and yes its screwed in tight enough...)

These guys are not riders, if they were they would never sell such a bad product, I am soo pissed. All the hype about it...

I don't know if its the shape that makes it so prone to vibration but it has a resonant vibration right at the cruising rpm for a 6 spd... 2500 to 3000 rpm. Real annoying.

Now I am thinking, do I reinforce it with some fiber and epoxy? I have nothing to loose anyway as it is not staying on my bike as is... its way too annoying. I don't mind air, but vibrating air is bad...
Sell it and move on...It doesn't work for you. It worked for me on my Streetglide. When I tried a KW on my RK though, it stunk...You have to get the right shield for you...

Old 09-22-2012, 09:44 PM
jakem
Advanced

What they said. I had a 12 inch on my 11 rg ultra and just put one on my 13 rg custom. Looks super but does let me catch some air.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KW was not only the worst WS i ever had, but the worst customer service too. i would never recommend or purchase any of the products ever again. i went with the Harley 7 inch WS and am extremely happy with it.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 PM
botz723
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

12er on my glide..

No problems..

Love it...

Sorry to have to disagree..

Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Iowa rider
Cruiser

I agree with sell it and move on. I had one on my EG and got terrible buffering. Went to a LRS and love it. My buddy swears by his Klockworks. Everyone and everybike is different. Kinda like seats and butts

Old 09-23-2012, 12:32 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been through many w/s, including two KW. 6.5 and cut down 8.5, wh I use almost always. I'm 6'2. W/s are tricky fits and maybe KW just not for you, but they are not flimsy. I suggest that you check install carefully. The round cut outs must be fitted over the round things on the inside of the fairing and it can take a lot of force for that part. My 6.5 fits easily while the 8.5 requires work: i fit and tighten the sides then pull it forward hard to get the center. Best w/s for me.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:05 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

My 6.5 KW is perfect! It took me 3 tries to find a WS that I liked. I tried mine with their demo program. From now on, thats the only way I will buy a WS, or Seat.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Different height individuals, different handlebars put arms at different spots, any number of variations can cause what you get, I have a 15" Windvest on my RGU, had a stock 9" on my RK DCC Fairing, set ups are different for each bike and each rider, even putting the little woman on behind me changes the slip stream around me. Move along and try something else.

Quick Reply: Klockwerks windshield really bad...