Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadtech Garmin 665 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
nivensid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadtech Garmin 665 Question

I have the Roadtech mounted with the HD Fairing Mount. Never had a problem for the last two months until yesterday. I was going down the road and the unit just cut off without warning. Tried the power button but no luck. Pulled off the rroad and ended taking out the battery and putting back in. All OK, went on down the road a few miles and it happened again. Did the same procedure with the battery and all OK again. Anyone else had this problem?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Could be a bad connection between your battery and the unit. Make sure the connects are clean.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Check your electrical connections and make sure your firmware is up to date.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
DirtPylon
Stage II
Angry 665 shut down

I installed the Road Tech 665 on my Limited a month ago and have had the same issues everytime i use it. I just replaced a Road Tech 660 with this 665 so i could get XM weather and traffic. I have pulled all of the music off and put on to an SD card thinking the unit had memory issues. 660 was the perfect unit, and this 665 freezes or completely dies evry 5 or 10 minutes and i have to hit the power button to shut off and resart. I know it isn't the wiring inside the fairing mounted unit since i have gone over and over the wiring and i solder all my connections vs. crimp connectors. Has anyone gotten results out of Garmin as to how to fix this yet?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Same thing happened this weekend. You do not need to remove the GPS from the mount, just press the power button until it reboots. It does take a few seconds. Not sure as to why it does, but I was listening to MP3s when it quit. Were you playing MP3s? If so you might have a corrupt file. Use mp3val to check them.

Originally Posted by nivensid
I have the Roadtech mounted with the HD Fairing Mount. Never had a problem for the last two months until yesterday. I was going down the road and the unit just cut off without warning. Tried the power button but no luck. Pulled off the rroad and ended taking out the battery and putting back in. All OK, went on down the road a few miles and it happened again. Did the same procedure with the battery and all OK again. Anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by Airborne350G; 04-03-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
DirtPylon
Stage II

Do you have your unit wired through the ACC switch like they recommend or directly to the battery. I have a feeling there is something wrong with the battery or the connection in the new fairing mount wiring or pinout on the cradle. I am planning to rewire straight to the battery and see if there is a difference.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I wonder if this is just a continuation of the problem I have with my Zumo 450. It will just turn itself off every so often, probably once or twice a month, and getting it running is just a matter of turning it on again. The first 450 I had did this and Garmin replaced it, only to get a unit that did the same thing. Maybe the old dealer claim that "they all do this" is the case here. It can't be a break in 12V power or ground, as if that was the case it would just revert to battery power.

You might go to the Zumo forums for a search and/or to post a note.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 660 has turned OFF on its own a couple of times also. The battery was full and it was connected to power (with power ON). In my case, I considered it to be a software crash (I'm a software engineer...). When I turn it back ON, it seems to work fine.

I have the latest firmware but 2009 maps. I have not contacted Garmin for it.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain

I had a Zumo 450. When I took the battery out, I used a mini screwdriver and very gently pried the brass contacts out a little. Never had a problem after that. The brass contacts I'm talking about are the three spring-loaded ones that are attached to the unit, not the battery. Your 660 may be different.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve been thinking of getting a new GPS. I guess I’ll stick with my old Garmin Nuvi 360 for now. It has never failed me and I have a buncha locations programed.

Quick Reply: Roadtech Garmin 665 Question