Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King front fender

Old 04-02-2012, 12:05 PM
HazelCreek
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King front fender

I am replacing a clean front fender on a 2005 Touring Road King (FLHRI) with a stock 2010 lighted tip fender. 1) Do I need to remove the wheel to swap fenders? 2) Does the non-functioning toggle switch to the left of my passing light switch have anything to do with the tip light? Or do I connect the tip light wiring behind the headlight?

In case you can't tell, I am a newbie - a proud Harley owner for two weeks now!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Hazel. Congrats on the new bike. I've never taken my fender off so I can't comment on your first question but PLENTY of guys on here have so it won't' be long.

The non-functioning toggle to the left of your passing lamps toggle is your accessories toggle. You can tap into it under your seat and use it for things like heated gear or a power outlet in your bags. It isn't required for your new lighted fender.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tip light is hooked up to work when the other lights are on. In otherwords, all the time. I don't think you'll have to remove the wheel, but it may make it a lot easier to remove and replace the fender with it out of the way. Otherwise you may need an extra set of hands to prevent scratching them during the process.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

the fender tip light you can probably wire into a grey wire attached to the headlight wiring- that is for the euro- spec position or "city" light and will work fine.

easier to swap fenders with the wheel out of the way- don't want to fumble and scratch it

Mike

Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
HazelCreek
6th Gear

Thank you.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the fender has never been off, there are locking tabs on the mount bolts. The wheel needs to come off so you can take a screwdriver or small chisel and a hammer and tap the locking tabs open. Most people then just use loctite on the bolts when mounting the new fender. Watch out for the thin fiber washers that are between the forks and fender. You MUST reuse these or your paint will chip after awhile.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just swapped my fender last week without taking the wheel. Was a hassle but not terrible to do.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
HazelCreek
6th Gear

Thank you for all the info. I will give it a try this weekend when my kid is home to help me.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
giobott
Intermediate
Default 2009 road king

I have had to work on front fender, You get cleaner results if you take wheel off, pretty easy with a stand. I used the accessory switch to run my auxillary fog lamps as the switch can be confingued to be turn off when the ignition is turned to off.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 PM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There should be a small 2 wire plug behind the headlite to plug fender-tip lite into.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King front fender