Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change how to

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Some things I do...

- Found a LONG t-wrench with a "ball end" that fits the allen-head socket in the oil drain plug (I -think- it's 1/4", but not sure without looking).
- I use a 5/8" wrench to "break" the drain bolt a turn or two
- Then I position my drain pan, and use the long t-wrench to loosen the bolt. When it comes out, the ball end helps to prevent it from falling in the oil. Because it's long, you won't get your hand burned if you change it when it's hot (like I do).

- When it's time to put the bolt back in, I use a SMALL 1/4" L-shaped wrench (NOT a ratchet) to tighten the bolt. Snug, then a little tighter, then a little more. Because you're using a small wrench to tighten the bolt, it removes the danger of over-torqueing it and stripping the threads. I've never had one fall out after doing it this way.

- I take a cardboard cereal box and cut it into a "drain gutter" to fit under the oil filter. It worked better on my 2000 Road Glide than it does on the 2007, because HD changed the design of the filter mount and it's now harder to get enough of a "lip" under the filter mount to catch the falling oil.

- I use more cardboard to "roll my own" funnel that helps pouring in the fresh oil. I still usually spill some anyway.

5 quart jugs of Mobil1 15w/50 from WalMart work fine for me. DON'T try pouring a full jug into the filler hole, it runs all over. Instead, pour out one or two quarts into quart jugs, then the rest is much easier to control with the jug turned upwards....

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 AM
PMC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a J&S bike jack and the oil drain pan attachment and I get virtually no mess. If you lift it in the right spot it'll take care of all three holes and you run them into one pan. After I empty that pan out I'll move it to the front of the bike when I pull the filter and can catch 99% of what comes out when you pull the filter. I actually just did my oil last weekend and didn't have any garage floor cleanup afterwards...
I also torque the three drain plugs and 5 primary cover bolts to spec. Go ahead and buy a gasket/O-ring kit (6 bucks) as if you needed to replace one it'd be nice to have them although you probably won't need to.