Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring is not my strength...even this Stereo.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:25 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wiring is not my strength...even this Stereo.

OK, try to keep the harassment to a minimum...but.

I am replacing a 6 year old Kenwood reciever/CD player in my redone Dragonfly. I had the Kenwood wired to plug into another pug on the bike that my indy pulled together.

NOW - I have a modern Sony Marine stereo I want to replace the Kenwood with (the Kenwood stopped working).

Issue is - How do I now take a modern wiring group (see pics) and know what to use and what to ignore...and what goes where if I want it to fit into the plug coming from the bike that my indy built?

You'll see in the pics. Any of you guys willing to take a look and let me know if it's pretty obvious or not? I'd like to DIY without too much trial and error. If not, I'll just take it to the shop and see if they'll work it out.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Wiring is not my strength...even this Stereo.-dscn0550.jpg   Wiring is not my strength...even this Stereo.-dscn0552.jpg   Wiring is not my strength...even this Stereo.-dscn0553.jpg  
Old 04-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

You need a meter and a battery. One the old plug, use your meter to identify the constant power, the switched power and the ground. If you don't know how to get this far, I would pay someone to do it...After you have identified those, hook them up to the red wire for constant, yellow for switched and black for ground. Next take your battery and use it to pop the speaker wire sets on at a time to identify the wires going to the speakers . Hook those up to the ones identified on the radios diagram. I cant remember the Sony colors off the top of my head. That is all there is to it...

P.S. Trial and error is ALWAYS a bad idea when it comes to electronics...

Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm guessing the first picture is what you had on the bike. Looks like somebody used a trailer connector for power and ground. White = ground, Brown = Constant Power, Yellow = switched power. I'm not sure what the green wire is going to, looks like a lamp cord.
Honestly I'd scrap all of that and use connectors and wire designed for electronics.

The instructions on your new unit should tell how to hook it up.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 AM
sedouglas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black, yellow and red go to the new black, yellow and red. Speakers to speakers and tape off the rest. Easy peasy.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sedouglas
Black, yellow and red go to the new black, yellow and red. Speakers to speakers and tape off the rest. Easy peasy.
Great. The new unit has a USB and 2 female jacks coming off the back that are puzzling, as well the zillion-wire "harness"...gotta think it's so you can deal with additional amps and of course multiple speakers as you'd have on a boat...plus can likely use the unit to control other components.

That helps a lot, thanks. I'll just be ignoring a lot of the wires it appears.

I'll keep it simple and find my Mulitmeter.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you need to show is the harness on the fairing side not old radio side. Let said before basically you have constant power, switched power, ground, and speakers

Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

All Aftermarket stereos are pretty much standardized.

Red = Switched Power. power turns on with the ignition.

Yellow = Memory Power. Power on all the time. This is what keeps your station preset in the radio and keep everything where it was when it was turned off.

Both if these should be fused.

Black = ground. Tie into the bikes ground system or to the battery Negitive.

Speaker wire are in pairs. Green wire and Green black stripe. The one with the black stripe goes to speaker negitive.

RCA's (Two Plugs) are for an amp if used.

The USB can be used with a thumb drive for stored music or with a adaptor be connected to a MP3 player, I-pod, I-Phone and so forth.

The secret is to draw out a wiring diagram before you start.

I used the pc Paint that come with every windows computer.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 PM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wiring diagram ususally included with the radio really not hard to do or you can go to the Kenwood site and look at the diagram for your model