Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Any pull a Bunkhouse Tent Trailer with an Ultra? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/756124-any-pull-a-bunkhouse-tent-trailer-with-an-ultra.html)

HeatherC 04-15-2012 08:42 PM

Any pull a Bunkhouse Tent Trailer with an Ultra?

I'm just wondering if anyone pulls a Bunkhouse with their Ultra? Do you have any problems?

We just bought a Bunkhouse XL Motorcycle Camper. It seems really big and HEAVY! We bought it from a guy who pulled it with a Goldwing and had no problems. But compared to our little cargo trailer this thing is HUGE and HEAVY! It's 340lbs empty so with gear I'm guessing another 100lbs. Is that too much to pull?

bigdumbnoitall00 04-15-2012 09:04 PM

can't tell ya what the limits are but if you decide to do it,look into lowering the gearing,either primary or final drive,best brake upgrades u can find,stickiest rear tire u can find(yes that tire will be short lived) take it really easy and leave lots of stoping room. saw 2 guys in tenessee both pulling small camper trailers one on older rk other on a glide,both said no problem.

Potato_Potato 04-15-2012 09:47 PM

Congrats! It looks very cozy.

I have pulled other, lighter trailers and I don’t have any experience with pulling a Bunkhouse. My trailer weighed full about what the Bunkhouse weighs empty.

I find that a swivel coupler improves handling and is easier on your frame if you were to drop the bike with the trailer attached.

Out of curiosity I checked out the Bunkhouse site and learned that Bushtec bought the company which is positive for its future. The other thing, if you were not aware, is that they no longer recommend the electric brakes that were previously installed on their trailers due to an Alert Letter from the brake’s manufacturer. More info at the link

http://bunkhousecamper.com/about-us/...able-and-safe/

HDWG 04-15-2012 10:00 PM

We do not have the brakes..Searching the net, see alot of folks seem to be having more success in towing with similar setups to the one we have rather than troubles....Figured if there were issues HDF would have a listing or two. We have been towing a homemade cargo trailer loaded weighing about the dry weight of the bunkhouse with no issues. This will be around 500lbs easy, loaded..just worring about clutch, and motor..

stevevfd 04-15-2012 10:40 PM

I never understood the motorcycle trailer thing. It seems like it'd take the fun out of being on 2 wheels. Plus it's putting strain on the drivetrain. Different strokes I guess. That just seems like a lot of weight to pull and come to a stop. Especially if you're riding 2-up and pulling a trailer. That could be half a ton worth of weight.

roadkil1995 04-15-2012 10:48 PM

I pull an aspen classic trailer behind a 2010 flhtk.looks like your bunkhouse.no problems yet.pulled it out to colo. Last year no trouble.

harleyphoenix 04-15-2012 11:40 PM

That thing is too big! Big as a Goldwing.

hog-doc 04-16-2012 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by HDWG (Post 9672216)
We do not have the brakes..Searching the net, see alot of folks seem to be having more success in towing with similar setups to the one we have rather than troubles....Figured if there were issues HDF would have a listing or two. We have been towing a homemade cargo trailer loaded weighing about the dry weight of the bunkhouse with no issues. This will be around 500lbs easy, loaded..just worring about clutch, and motor..

Do you have cams in the ultra? The torque of a set of 255s would certinly help the go part!

Pondskipper 04-16-2012 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by stevevfd (Post 9672334)
I never understood the motorcycle trailer thing. It seems like it'd take the fun out of being on 2 wheels. Plus it's putting strain on the drivetrain. Different strokes I guess. That just seems like a lot of weight to pull and come to a stop. Especially if you're riding 2-up and pulling a trailer. That could be half a ton worth of weight.

+1 I don't even understand the need for a tourpack, I travel pretty light.

hardwork2 04-16-2012 04:48 AM

I think you'll be alright. Interested in one myself. I put 255 cams in my bike to give it more get along when pulling my Bushtec.
One thing to think about is you wont be pulling it everyday. So More than likely you bike is going to out live you anyway. enjoy. Let us know how you like your Bunkhouse.
I see that Bushtec is comming up with a heim joint hitch and pin for the Bunkhouse line. This IMO is a must if you dont have it.