Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam bearings puller/installer question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:54 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pnwlimited
Borrow it from Auto Zone, leave a deposit for the tool and when you bring it back they refund the deposit 100%
The AutoZone tool is only a puller, right? If so you'll have to find a way to install the new bearings. Tapping them in with an old cam has worked for many. I've used the Beatty tool, which has already been mentioned, and it works well too for a bit less money.

Last edited by iclick; 04-18-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by journeyman
I've used that one. It's a good solid tool.
The only problem I had was, I thought the expandable tool for removal didn't contract small enogh to easily slide onto the old bearings. I found if I gave it a little help squeezing a bit before hand with a channel locks it worked great.
Plus two. Used these and they worked great!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Re;

Originally Posted by WOLFMAN94
Thats the one I bought, Used it last week, works great and excellent quality too!
+1. Worked great.

TedMan

Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1

I used the Heartland remover/installer tool on my cam install.

High quality tool and works great.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The heartland tools work great and if you order direct from thier website and enter coupon code harleytech you get a 10% discount. I personally do not like the type of installers that have you tap the bearings in. One tip on the heartland remover is before you use it for the first time take a hose clamp and slide it on the tool and tighten it up and that makes it easy to slide inside the bearing the first time you use it. I have also used George's tools and factory harley tools and this is identical for much less money.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 PM
pnwlimited
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The AutoZone tool is only a puller, right? If so you'll have to find a way to install the new bearings. Tapping them in with an old cam has worked for many. I've used the Beatty tool, which has already been mentioned, and it works well too for a bit less money.
That is correct, I just used an inverted 1/2" drive socket and extention to install the bearing, worked slick and was free.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Born2cure
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys lots of good info. Can always count on HDForums members to chime in. And give the right info. Thanks

Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I always use the proper tool to set inner cam bearings. It's not complicated, but it's also possible to damage the bearings if they're installed incorrectly. Lots of guys have installed their inner cam bearings by tapping them into place with no apparant problems, and they will tell you it's an acceptable risk. It's up to you to decide whether or not the risk is worth the cost savings, but you should have the whole story so you can make an informed decision.

Bearing install tips from the Timken website:

Proper installation is critical if you want a drawn cup needle bearing to perform correctly in an application. Highlighted below are general guidelines that apply when installing a drawn cup needle roller bearing.

• A drawn cup bearing must be pressed into its housing.
• An installation tool must be used in conjunction with a standard press. The installation tool should:
- Have a back angle, around 15 degrees, on the shoulder used to apply the press force to the bearing outer ring.
- Have a pilot to center and guide the bearing.
- Have a ball detent on the pilot if the bearing being installed is a full complement type.
- Be on the same axis as the housing bore.
- Be made to specific dimensions, based on the equipment manufacturer’s recommendations.

• The bearing must not be hammered into its housing even if a proper installation tool is being used.
• The bearing should not be pressed tightly against a shoulder in the housing. If it is necessary to use a shouldered housing, the depth of the housing bore must be sufficient to ensure that the housing shoulder fillet and shoulder face clear the bearing.

If these guidelines are not followed, the bearing may be damaged during installation.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I always use the proper tool to set inner cam bearings. It's not complicated, but it's also possible to damage the bearings if they're installed incorrectly. Lots of guys have installed their inner cam bearings by tapping them into place with no apparant problems, and they will tell you it's an acceptable risk. It's up to you to decide whether or not the risk is worth the cost savings, but you should have the whole story so you can make an informed decision.

Bearing install tips from the Timken website:

Proper installation is critical if you want a drawn cup needle bearing to perform correctly in an application. Highlighted below are general guidelines that apply when installing a drawn cup needle roller bearing.

• A drawn cup bearing must be pressed into its housing.
• An installation tool must be used in conjunction with a standard press. The installation tool should:
- Have a back angle, around 15 degrees, on the shoulder used to apply the press force to the bearing outer ring.
- Have a pilot to center and guide the bearing.
- Have a ball detent on the pilot if the bearing being installed is a full complement type.
- Be on the same axis as the housing bore.
- Be made to specific dimensions, based on the equipment manufacturer’s recommendations.

• The bearing must not be hammered into its housing even if a proper installation tool is being used.
• The bearing should not be pressed tightly against a shoulder in the housing. If it is necessary to use a shouldered housing, the depth of the housing bore must be sufficient to ensure that the housing shoulder fillet and shoulder face clear the bearing.

If these guidelines are not followed, the bearing may be damaged during installation.
Ditto no way I would tap in a bearing unless it was a bearing that was designed for tapping in.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Taboo80
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought same one .. worked fine.

Quick Reply: Cam bearings puller/installer question