Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120r is cooked

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXHS

A clip (circlip it was called) that held the cam on the cam plate that apparently its only job is to aid in installation and removal of the cams, came off. Service manager and HD phone support (svc mgr called) and said "this never happens".

The ONLY reason I mentioned warranty was the svc mgr brought it up.

Harry
I am glad the problem was found, prior to this thread Ive only heard of that clip failing once before and have never seen it. The problem is the install not the part. Its a loaded snap ring and I cant figure out why some people have a problem with them. Ive seen several new techs not put them in properly when teaching them how to do a cam job.

Rebuild, it will be better and faster!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this very same clip break last year when i Changed my cams. I even bought a new clip from the dealer as I did not want any issues with clip failure as it came off ruff and stretched a little.

This is what happened in my case as it was my fault when I put the cam chest back together I didn't mark the washers, but I did use a flat edge and made sure the gears lined up properly. Now here is where I messed up the one washer was just a tad thick for the cam and clip the clip went in tight but I didnt think nothing of it.
so when i was ridding the bike the cams would heat up and stretch the clip and then loosen when the motor cooled down causing the clip to weaken and finally the ends pooped off and went up my pump. causing some of the same issues as your motor.
I was able to fix my bike for 250.00 replacing the came plate with a used one from fastbagger here on the forums (thx) and a new pump for 200.00

here is a pic of my shattered oil pump.

this was a assembly error at the factory

Old 07-04-2012, 03:21 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer

Originally Posted by SE120RG
check your circlips, this one went at 8800 miles

That clip broke just like mine I bet the washer and clip were tight causing the stretch of the clip.

was that circle clip bowed? as the center being pulled in by the cam? this is what is breaking the ends of the clips off it's really not clip failure from a manufactures point, it's was the assemblers

Last edited by BadBagger08; 07-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel for you guys that have had the circlip failures egardless of how it happened.

One unanswered question though that has been mentioned here-- is that circlip actually needed once the cams are installed?
If it wasn't needed problem solved for next time. HogDoc could you please share your opinion on this?

Old 07-04-2012, 09:39 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
I feel for you guys that have had the circlip failures egardless of how it happened.

One unanswered question though that has been mentioned here-- is that circlip actually needed once the cams are installed?
If it wasn't needed problem solved for next time. HogDoc could you please share your opinion on this?
You need the C-clip other wise the cam would walk to much in the cam chest effecting cam timing and the possibility of case contact near the cam bearings and bushing wear and all sorts of bad things.

There needs to be ample enough room for cam growth when the engine gets hot as not to cause tension on the clip and washer. This is easy to over look, the manual doesn't mention it, only to line up the gears so that they are on a even plain. I happen to remember the assembly of my cams and remember that clip being a tight fit locking into the grove only after I really sat down and thought why and how the clip ens would beak off in such a way, did I come up with the answer.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

Picked up my motorcycle today. It rides awesome.

I got used to the wife's 07 FLSTN and so mine is a little higher and wider. Clutch pull is definately harder on mine...

But the torque. Ah the torque.

I think the crank has it running smoother than "stock". Well stock 120r.

Russel has the dyno sheets but quite frankly who cares. The thing pulls harder til 4500ish but is just is a diesel tractor down low. That will take some gettin used to.

"what's a wheelie dad??"

"I don't know yet, son. Yet"

Thanks a million Russel. Thank you.

I am gonna save some dough on upgrades and ride the f-sucker.

Heh-heh!!

"IT'S ALIVE!!! ALLIIIVVEEE!!!!"

Old 07-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Verbal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats....glad to see you got it fixed...

Old 07-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
Picked up my motorcycle today. It rides awesome.

I got used to the wife's 07 FLSTN and so mine is a little higher and wider. Clutch pull is definately harder on mine...

But the torque. Ah the torque.

I think the crank has it running smoother than "stock". Well stock 120r.

Russel has the dyno sheets but quite frankly who cares. The thing pulls harder til 4500ish but is just is a diesel tractor down low. That will take some gettin used to.

"what's a wheelie dad??"

"I don't know yet, son. Yet"

Thanks a million Russel. Thank you.

I am gonna save some dough on upgrades and ride the f-sucker.

Heh-heh!!

"IT'S ALIVE!!! ALLIIIVVEEE!!!!"

WOOT!!!!

Congrats on not letting the bast*rds keep ya down

Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain

I love a story with a happy ending!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by V2Evo96

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
You need the C-clip other wise the cam would walk to much in the cam chest effecting cam timing and the possibility of case contact near the cam bearings and bushing wear and all sorts of bad things.

There needs to be ample enough room for cam growth when the engine gets hot as not to cause tension on the clip and washer. This is easy to over look, the manual doesn't mention it, only to line up the gears so that they are on a even plain. I happen to remember the assembly of my cams and remember that clip being a tight fit locking into the grove only after I really sat down and thought why and how the clip ens would beak off in such a way, did I come up with the answer.
Thanks--explained that way it makes perfect sense! Hmm, I think I'll check that clip soon...