Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Super Tuner vs Thundermaxx vs ??? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/757487-super-tuner-vs-thundermaxx-vs.html)

ciq01 04-19-2012 03:23 PM

Super Tuner vs Thundermaxx vs ???

Hey guys, I have a super tuner on my road king. I just bought a new Road Glide and have added pipe, intake and cams. It's my understanding that I can't use my RK super tuner for my new RG? Why? And if I have to get a new one, is the super tuner better than Thundermaxx or others like it?

Airborne350G 04-19-2012 06:50 PM

The super tuner is locked the the ECM and cannot be used on another bike.

As for which to get they all are decent. Depends on personal preference.

Originally Posted by ciq01 (Post 9689545)
Hey guys, I have a super tuner on my road king. I just bought a new Road Glide and have added pipe, intake and cams. It's my understanding that I can't use my RK super tuner for my new RG? Why? And if I have to get a new one, is the super tuner better than Thundermaxx or others like it?

pavin 04-19-2012 06:56 PM

Like airborne mentioned, the super tuner is married to the bike. I think there are a lot of good tuners out there, I went with the super tuner just to keep things cleaner under me.

The Nev 04-19-2012 07:22 PM

Just food for thought but two years ago I was having trouble with my bike at Sturgis. I have a 2006 Ultra with 95" quite a bit of work and a T-Max. I took it all over and everyone said the same thing quote "I don't speak Thunder Max" there was one little shop in Sundance WY that did speak Tmax I waited there all day and they couldn't get me in. When I got home I went to a Super Tuner cause all Harley shop speak Harley. True story just a thought.

XARAN 04-19-2012 07:39 PM

SEPST is a flash tuner as is TTS and Power Vision they all do about the same end result. It's really about which you or your tuner has experience with. The thunder max is a whole different ECM and is self tuning if I understand it correctly. Thunder max is also almost twice the cost.

I've used the older SERT and had good luck with it am
Nd it is true any dealer has at least some knowledge of it. I'm currently using a Power Vision and for my novice experience I find it easy to use and it has the ability to data log and allow the user to self tune. The Power Vision and the TTS can be used on more than 1 bike by buying additional licenses

If your interested in the Power Vision call Jamie at Fuel Moto for a lot more info

dbell66253 04-19-2012 07:46 PM

I'm on my second Thundermax, I happen to like it a lot. As mentioned the TMax is a whole unit, it doesn't piggy back on the stock ECM, its really easy to tune, and automatically adjust. I've never had a problem with costumer service, but, you have to shop around and find what suits you.

jezekia 04-19-2012 09:47 PM

I had the Vancen Hines tuner with there complete exhaust on one bike installed in October at Biketoberfest and stepped up to the Thunder Max in March due to issues with popping under deceleration.I liked it so much did my other bike as well. The bike runs smoother at 2000 rpm which you will see immediately and runs cooler as idle seems to be at 950. Both my bikes are CVO 110's so heat seems to be an issue.

Ganno57 04-19-2012 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Nev (Post 9690623)
When I got home I went to a Super Tuner cause all Harley shop speak Harley.

AMEN!!! Same reason I went with the Harley product.

ramnj 04-20-2012 08:13 AM

I went with the T-Max. With the Super Tuner your tied to Harley for everything.

The reason for the T-Max is because it auto tunes and if there's any issue, you can hook up to a PC and work the issue out. If you can't you send the map to Zipper and sort the problem out.

06UltraBig95 04-20-2012 09:26 AM

T max here as well.
Can't believe the difference. and no more Dyno time from Harley, no dead spots, way more responsive than the SERT, well worth the extra money which you can make up anytime you change something as it will adjust for you, saving a retune on the dyno.