Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:43 AM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best air suspension

I'm new to the Touring section and with back issues I am switching to a RKC. I want to do an air suspension to help with the ride/prolong future surgery tho it will be needed in about 15 yrs anyway. I was going to put the Shotgun Shock on my 06 Deluxe b/c everyone in the Softail section swears it is the absolute best....also meeting JD (the owner/creator) and hearing a detailed explanation from one helluva guy made me go that route. Unfortunately I sold the bike shortly after my surgery and now I have no idea as to what company provides the best product. I'm looking for not too bulky, easy adjust, fairly easy install, can slam for appearances but also can adjust height/stiffness while riding, reliable, and a quality product....all the things the Shotgun Shock offered. I HAVE searched and read postings but I keep getting mixed emotions from people's experiences. So tell me in your own words.....what product do you think is the best overall and is not $2000.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It seems to me you should consider where your priority lies! If you have had surgery and are concerned about comfort there is probably no air suspension system out there that is 'best' for you. If your priority is slamming for looks, then that ain't cheap and is unlikely to give you a good ride to protect your surgery.

Air systems, including stock Harley shocks, are very simple in their design and cannot deliver a high quality ride. If you want a high quality ride, forget about air shocks. There are however shocks out there that can give you a superb ride and which cost much less than 2k.

The following 2 users liked this post by grbrown:
Alex Chan (11-09-2023), hbsoldier3 (05-20-2018)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 PM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer

My priorities are in line...I meant systems that can be adjusted while riding for height and stiffness but then be lowered when stopped for appearances. There ARE air suspensions that can give you good quality ride that is far superb to stock. I.E. Shotgun shock that is made for Softails. That's why I was asking if any of you in Touring section have any experience or recommendations. I know air suspensions are simple in design as I have had an extensive talk/demonstration with the owner/creator of Shotgun shock and there are similar things that are on our helicopters and it's complex yet simple in reality. They indeed can help the ride and slam for looks as well. Trust me I would go with his but he only makes for Softails so that's why I was asking in the Touring section. You're telling me Legends or Arnott is just for looks and does not have the capability to stiffen or soften and raise or lower depending on ride setup/road conditions? There are no air suspensions with compressors for that? Only Progressives or Ohlins like some of the other threads said? Noone makes a system to where you can adjust the height and then while riding adjust the stiffness for bette ride while moving? But in your second paragraph, are you saying there are no quality ride shocks? including Harley ones? So what are these shocks you are referring to that provide a superb ride for less than $2k? That's why I asked for suggestions

Last edited by BamaBoyjc; 04-26-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM
fame2
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a shotgun on my night train bro..it definitely made a difference in ride..i now have an Arnott air ride on my Road King...i only have a few hundred miles on this set up..but so far so good...i usually air it up when i go for longer rides, but when i'm local i can ride with it slammed down and it's still pretty comfortable..but like i said, i only have a few hundred miles with the Arnott. i know it isn't much but hopefully it helps

Old 04-27-2012, 12:15 AM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer

I appreciate the response bud. That's the type of info I was looking for. Does the Arnott adjust like the Shotgun and give pretty much the same type of options; as in setting the height to lower than stock and then adjusting firmness as you ride for better comfort. Also do you think it is better at not bottoming out and dampening bumps?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by BamaBoyjc
My priorities are in line...I meant systems that can be adjusted while riding for height and stiffness but then be lowered when stopped for appearances. There ARE air suspensions that can give you good quality ride that is far superb to stock. I.E. Shotgun shock that is made for Softails. That's why I was asking if any of you in Touring section have any experience or recommendations. I know air suspensions are simple in design as I have had an extensive talk/demonstration with the owner/creator of Shotgun shock and there are similar things that are on our helicopters and it's complex yet simple in reality. They indeed can help the ride and slam for looks as well. Trust me I would go with his but he only makes for Softails so that's why I was asking in the Touring section.

You're telling me Legends or Arnott is just for looks and does not have the capability to stiffen or soften and raise or lower depending on ride setup/road conditions? There are no air suspensions with compressors for that? Only Progressives or Ohlins like some of the other threads said? Noone makes a system to where you can adjust the height and then while riding adjust the stiffness for bette ride while moving? But in your second paragraph, are you saying there are no quality ride shocks? including Harley ones? So what are these shocks you are referring to that provide a superb ride for less than $2k? That's why I asked for suggestions
I was trying to be helpful and make a distinction between getting a high quality ride on the one hand, to help you ride after your surgery, and on the other hand get a set-up that can lower/raise ride height. I am not convinced they can both be had in the same suspension set-up.

If your priority is a high quality ride, then buy Ohlins, which really do have superior ride qualities like no other brand. If your surgery limits how much you can ride they would be my recommendation. HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal will custom build them for you and your riding style. Howard there is the closest we can get to a suspension physician!

If you want a system with raise/lower as a priority then I doubt if you will get the same high quality ride a set of Ohlins can give you.

You did use the word 'best' and connected it with 'surgery'! That 'b' word is one of the biggest in the dictionary and there are very few things on this planet that deserve it! I may be doing a disservice to air system brands by suggesting that they use that word in a different context to surgery.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (05-20-2018)
Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 AM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

almost all air suspension are same . it just the matter who is gonna leak first . warranty wise Arnott . 5 years

Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've done quite a bit of research on this subject. While many here will pine on about Ohlins, progressive, Ricor, whatever, the simple truth is that coilover shocks cannot do what some people want.

For my needs, a sprung shock cannot compensate for the differences in load between riding solo and riding two-up on a road trip. I need the adjustability that only an air shock or hydraulic shock has. I'm running the premium ride shocks right now and they're ok.

But, on to air shocks. The Arnott Aldan shocks seem to be the best option. Not only can you adjust the air for preload and ride-height, you also have rebound dampening adjustment. This is critical, as with a large load you can tighten it up and greatly increase control in the back of the bike when loaded.

It's the system I'm going to purchase when I have the funds.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

GRBrown summed it up

Any air suspension system is a compromise as far as handling / ride vs instant adjust ability for weight and height.

If you want a better riding and handling bike get Ohlins or Progressive 940, Works or Terry Cable , if you want adjustable for the changes in weight and ride height look a Arnott, Progressive or even the DIY setup using car shocks that there is a write up on here.

Ive had a number of back injuries, C3-4, T2-5 and now bulging disk and sciatica. A good seat, handlebars to make a proper comfortable riding position combined with quality suspension to improve the quality of the ride makes it possible for me to continue to ride and easily do 200 -350 mile days ( with a little help from a few 800 mg Ibuprofen). Id never consider using an air suspension system to get the quality of ride I want.

Best of luck with your decision, I hope it works for you.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (05-20-2018)
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

Originally Posted by XARAN
GRBrown summed it up

Any air suspension system is a compromise as far as handling / ride vs instant adjust ability for weight and height.

If you want a better riding and handling bike get Ohlins or Progressive 940, Works or Terry Cable , if you want adjustable for the changes in weight and ride height look a Arnott, Progressive or even the DIY setup using car shocks that there is a write up on here.

Ive had a number of back injuries, C3-4, T2-5 and now bulging disk and sciatica. A good seat, handlebars to make a proper comfortable riding position combined with quality suspension to improve the quality of the ride makes it possible for me to continue to ride and easily do 200 -350 mile days ( with a little help from a few 800 mg Ibuprofen). Id never consider using an air suspension system to get the quality of ride I want.

Best of luck with your decision, I hope it works for you.

I second what Xaran has to say about surgery and riding... Everything is a compramise when choosing to customize your bike. You can go for best ride an adjustable or the slammed look, choose wisely. Best of luck to you on your quest.

Quick Reply: What's the best air suspension