Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ohlins Shocks

I currently have Progressive 940's that were modified by Progressive with 'standard' (130/90, I think) springs. The stock springs were too stiff...

I weigh 215#, 2004 Road King Custom (stock shock is 12"), and rarely ride 2-up. The bike rides good, but going over abrupt bumps it bottoms out. If I crank up the pre-load (I've got almost none in it) it limits the bottoming-out but the ride also becomes too stiff, and causes my back to hurt after going 30 or 40 miles.

I have heard so much about Ohlins shocks on this site, I feel like I need to try them just to answer the question: "Are they really THAT much better than my Progressive 940's?"

People are zealous about the Ohlins. Though other shocks get good press, it seems to me no other shock elicits the same amount of zeal as the Ohlins, and motorcycle metal (Harold).

Are there any 'converts' who used to have Progressive 940's (or 440's) but who switched to Ohlins? What's your experience, comparing the Progressive to Ohlins?

Thanks,
Alan

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,420 Likes on 4,724 Posts
Old 04-24-2012, 08:10 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

There is a member over on roadglide.org tj316, that used 940 and changed to ohlin 3-3 here is a copy of one of his posts. His responses are also in the link to the other thread

tj316

I've run the 940's & monotubes and the Ohlin's #3's & monotubes ,the 940's were good but the Ohlin's is worlds better , I know a few guys with the Ohlin's #2's , Howard sells them for around $540 , these shocks deliver a great ride too and should not be considered a cheap shock , they are much better than the 940's also

Last edited by XARAN; 04-24-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ohlins are gas filled much better ride.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've had my Ohlins over three years now. The reason I bought them is that I spent longer than is sensible going back through old shock threads on HDF. I observed two things, one that many members are happy as Larry with whatever brand they bought. That is not helpful, because it is impossible to decide what to buy!

The other thing is that some members have not been happy with their first purchase, or sometimes several different brands or models of shock. So they had something more useful to contribute, especially as they were mostly Ohlins owners. There was not as much on here about them at the time.

I decided to cut out all the alternatives and go straight to Ohlins. The improvement really is as we owners keep telling it! These things are truly remarkable. The year before I fitted them my wife and I made a 2,500 mile tour and towards the end she especially was glad to get off the bike at the end of each day and we started to take short-cuts, to reduce saddle time.

The following year we went on a similar trip, with our Ohlins. No such problems, in fact when we got home she reckoned we could carry on! We have done a further such trip and are now planning one of over 5k miles. We no longer bottom out, despite being loaded up with everything plus the kitchen sink.

Save yourself time agonising over this and give Howard a call. Tell him you are a member here. Life will never be the same!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace your stock shocks oil with thicker one. Night and day difference for very little money... There are many posts in this forum.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boom23
Replace your stock shocks oil with thicker one. Night and day difference for very little money... There are many posts in this forum.
Boom, have you tried Ohlins??? The OP doesn't even have stock shocks. Do yourself a favor and get some Ohlins and you will see a night and day difference.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I would say that Ohlins take a bit of fiddling with to get them where they really shine. I have had progressives years back and I didn't like them much. But progressive is probably producing different units now.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see how the Progressive 940 seems to get put down .My bitch is most of you are raving about your ohlin 3 3s ,but the Progressive is a lowered shock around half the price ,there is nothing to compare.Id like see real comparisons with Progressive 940s and Ohlins 2 2a s.They are very close in price.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by andyp
I see how the Progressive 940 seems to get put down .My bitch is most of you are raving about your ohlin 3 3s ,but the Progressive is a lowered shock around half the price ,there is nothing to compare.Id like see real comparisons with Progressive 940s and Ohlins 2 2a s.They are very close in price.
I have #2's, there is no comparison between the 2 when set up correctly. But I have not ridden newer progressives. On my prior experience I would never buy them again.

Quick Reply: Ohlins Shocks