Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 PM
djack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ohlins

finally got hooked up with Howard and my 2-2A's are on the way for my 12 SG

Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 PM
shadowchaser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another soon to be very satisfied customer!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Follow Howard's instructions on set-up and you will be fine. Welcome to the growing hoard!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 AM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just spoke with him tonight for a bit. My order sheet was supposed to be in my email but it got lost in space somewhere. Can I ask your 'stats' as far as ordering the 2-2a's? That's what I was going to order but after speaking with him I'm a bit on the fence between that and maybe the 3's. I guess the 3's (at least one set) are lower the way I understood it and that's one thing I'm looking for. Reading the web site though they would also not be adjustable which concerns me. the 2-2a's appear to be just a hair higher but adjustable. Appreciate your input in advance

Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by SharkBite
Just spoke with him tonight for a bit. My order sheet was supposed to be in my email but it got lost in space somewhere. Can I ask your 'stats' as far as ordering the 2-2a's? That's what I was going to order but after speaking with him I'm a bit on the fence between that and maybe the 3's. I guess the 3's (at least one set) are lower the way I understood it and that's one thing I'm looking for. Reading the web site though they would also not be adjustable which concerns me. the 2-2a's appear to be just a hair higher but adjustable. Appreciate your input in advance
Both #2s and #3s are adjustable for sag, or pre-load, in other words to compensate for the weight of the bike with rider(s). The #3s also have adjustable compression & rebound damping via a sweep valve. So it is the #3s that have more adjusters.

#2s are emulsion type, with mixed gas and oil, while #3s are separated and they also have superior damping. When I talked through the options with Howard (about 3 years ago now) I was happy the #3s were the better choice. If you ride 2-up a lot they are worth considering.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 AM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought emulsion was something about the paint finish lmao......makes more sense. I definitely want the ride as low as I can but don't want to compromise the ride quality otherwise it defeats the purpose of putting 'em on. Decisions, decisions

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack

Old 05-01-2012, 03:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

I thought emulsion was something about the paint finish lmao......makes more sense. I definitely want the ride as low as I can but don't want to compromise the ride quality otherwise it defeats the purpose of putting 'em on. Decisions, decisions

Phone Howard and talk through what you want with him. There are limits to how low you can go and still get the high quality ride Ohlins can give. They are not shocks for looks, but high performance!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 AM
djack
Road Master

well shark bite, he did caution me about staying with stock length,he I'll lose an inch right off the top from sag and then my load of about 450 lbs. he said that's a lot of weight lol.but he told me he doesn't make reccomendations, he sells you what you want, so I'll see I may be ordering some longer ones

Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain

I have the 2-2a's. These are 12" shocks that have about 3 1/4" of stroke. That is more stroke than you can get out of the 3-3's and frankly will give you more preload adjustment compared to the 3-3's. Given you weight factor and riding 2up I would suggest the 2-2a's and let Howard do his magic with building the shocks and supplying just the right spring for the job.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member

There is more to shocks than stroke! The damping qualities of the #3s are superior to the #2s, which is why they cost more. I bought them over #3s because of that and the ride is sublime. Any Ohlins, however, is likely to be better than most if not all others.

Quick Reply: ohlins