Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny G
I just put the 120r in my 2007 FLHX which had a 103 stage 3. The 120r is the best value for the buck. I purchased mine at Lakeshore HD for $4800.00 and had HD of Tampa do the install. I went with the HPI 58mm throttle body, which accepts stock HD football or any other AC with that hole configuration. It also allowed me to keep my cruise control active(cables). I have a rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust with SE k&N filter, and 68t rear sprocket, SE super tuner, bike dynoed at 130HP 132tq. I have about 800 mile on the engine and will re tune at 1000 miles once the engine loosens up. With respect to no warranty, that is correct, however, HD Tampa offers an after market extended warranty which cover my bike, and it's NEW ENGINE, cost me $1200 for 4 years, and has a $50 deductible which is waved if you do the work thru them. And just to add some spark, a buddy of mine has a springer softtail with SE 110, with cam and head work, fast bike. I pulled him in forth gear with my bagger and never looked back. The 120r is a truly an amazing engine , it is quieter, smoother, and more drivable than my 103 ever was. Give it 5 years, and some version might even be HD's stock engine. GO FOR THE 120R, you won't be disappointed. One suggestion, do not go with the SE clutch setup, here's what I did. AIMS VT92, 340 spring, billet plate, stock clutch basket, and SE clutch plates. Very easy pull, and no slippage.
+1 on the clutch statement. I initially installed the SE Clutch for about the 1st 10 miles and my hand/forearm was about tho fall off. I kept the stock basket, used the SE Plates and went with a VPC.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Listen to aviscomi and Johnny G, these guys have been there and are there!

Who in the hell puts in a 120R and then uses stock intake and exhaust! I don't believe it happened that way! I would look to a different mechanic...and not one that has simply read an article about the 120R!

I did a 107 last season...this season I did the 120R. Big difference! I took the 120R out for a 350 mile day last Saturday...combination of Interstate and back roads. I love the way the bike runs!

I am going to disagree with Tony and Johnny G on the SE Racing Clutch...I like the hell out of it! I have by springs backed off 7 turns...all the clutch I need with no slip and a pull that I am happy with! I think it's a great clutch!

Good luck...but either way (107 or 120R) this is an expensive journey!

Steve

Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
iceman5218
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give it 5 years, and some version might even be HD's stock engine.
This statement is something I am afraid and frankly a little perterbed about. There it would seem H-D is using its customer base to be the gineau pigs for their new CVO engine. So instead of using its own money and sizeable R & D budget they are throwing something out there and letting the paying customer test it for them before they put it in their high level bikes. Just my opinion, but it seems like the obvious business decision.

Flame away at me.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
jmoore9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by aviscomi
"What kind of dumb *** would expect 120 inch motor to breath through a stock air cleaner and pipe. Do some research and you will find 125/125(real world numbers) is what they are making at the rear wheel. I would love to see a fuel moto 107 try to beat my 120r."

+1...That's kinda what I said in an earlier post. 120R w/Stock AC & Exhaust...wtf.
The mechanic has been misinformed in many ways. I have two friends with 107's and all's they see are my tailights pulling away quickly everytime we ride. Wait till we ride after the Huricane Heads are installed, lol.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM
TheArchitect
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
I initially installed the SE Clutch for about the 1st 10 miles and my hand/forearm was about tho fall off.
Boy that is some kind of misery to go through too. I had a turbocharged Buell with an SE clutch and if I got stuck in traffic backup my whole arm would be on fire by the time I got through it. That was the stiffest clutch pull of any bike I've ever had. I finally put an EZ pull on it which made life much better, the clutch went from being 4 times stiffer than stock to 2 times stiffer, LOL! I could live with that though.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
jmoore9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TheArchitect
Boy that is some kind of misery to go through too. I had a turbocharged Buell with an SE clutch and if I got stuck in traffic backup my whole arm would be on fire by the time I got through it. That was the stiffest clutch pull of any bike I've ever had. I finally put an EZ pull on it which made life much better, the clutch went from being 4 times stiffer than stock to 2 times stiffer, LOL! I could live with that though.
Barnett clutch feels a tad bit stiffer than stock. I love it.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 PM
justastreetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should be picking up my 120R next week from the dealer. My dealer also told me low HP numbers, and also didn't say the TB was a "must do" item. He did install a 120 motor with stock TB for another customer. After talking to him again, and he fully understood I wanted to gain performance he loosened up. So, my new bike is in, and getting the transplant now. SE TB & injectors, lockup clutch, HD heavy breather intake, and Rhinehart duals. I know some people will disagree with the exhaust, or clutch, or something on "my" setup. But, the deal was to good to pass up, my dealer is 10 minutes from my house, is famaliar with the tuner/exhaust and is willing to stand behind that setup. Thats worth a couple HP I may lose out to another exhaust IMO.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by justastreetglide
I should be picking up my 120R next week from the dealer. My dealer also told me low HP numbers, and also didn't say the TB was a "must do" item. He did install a 120 motor with stock TB for another customer. After talking to him again, and he fully understood I wanted to gain performance he loosened up. So, my new bike is in, and getting the transplant now. SE TB & injectors, lockup clutch, HD heavy breather intake, and Rhinehart duals. I know some people will disagree with the exhaust, or clutch, or something on "my" setup. But, the deal was to good to pass up, my dealer is 10 minutes from my house, is famaliar with the tuner/exhaust and is willing to stand behind that setup. Thats worth a couple HP I may lose out to another exhaust IMO.
Stock Throttle Body on a 120R...hmm.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

... Give it 5 years, and some version might even be HD's stock engine ...
That an interesting idea, and maybe enough of difference over my 09 RK 103 for an upgrade.

But with the Enviro ***** out there, I wonder if Harley could pull it off. In stock form to meet EPA/CARB/etc standards that would be one hot motor ... not that the 103s or 110s are exactly cool running.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Damascus
That an interesting idea, and maybe enough of difference over my 09 RK 103 for an upgrade.

But with the Enviro ***** out there, I wonder if Harley could pull it off. In stock form to meet EPA/CARB/etc standards that would be one hot motor ... not that the 103s or 110s are exactly cool running.
I wouldn't bet on that happening - get one now while stocks last!

Quick Reply: 120R Questions