Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many are really happy w/ Ohlins shocks for the money spent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Question How many are really happy w/ Ohlins shocks for the money spent?

I know there is plenty on here that feel that going w/ Ohlins shocks are the way to go...I spent the money on them a few years back and shortly after I laid the bike down...I have never laid a bike (except off-road) down and I have been in plenty of uncomfortable positions and i bought the bagger brace before the shocks...anyhow I did not like the way the ***-end handled as I was losing control of the sled (I have never felt that feel before). My setup was done while Howard was on the phone w/ me...I don't think I will try them again.
I usually ride w/ my lady but when the weight is not the same the bike is way more different and set up is not as easy as the air ride by HD

Anyone else know of what I speak?

Not looking to cause a fuss just thought it to be important to share my thoughts on the so called money well spent.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm..still didn't install mine yet...been busy...really haven't heard much negative here from the forum...

Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

So the Ohlins caused your crash?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

So a bike is supposed to feel good on it's way down? You are surprised that your bike felt funny as you were crashing it? You say you have laid down your dirt bikes, but then you say you have never felt that feeling before? You need to get your story straight if you are going to come on here and use your crash example as a reason to bash Motorcycle Metal and a superior product (in every conceivable way) such as Ohlins suspension.

The old "lay down" **** is usually the result of pilot error. Locking up the rear brakes, going too fast, not watching ahead, unaware of your surroundings, preoccupied, speeding through intersections, improper tire maintenance, that stuff. But you should know that.

Sounds like you might want to get honest with yourself about why you crashed and make efforts to try to mitigate that issue instead of blaming your crash on components bolted on bike.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noticed a big improvement in the ride since installing Ohlins on my 01 Ultra. I'm not sure that a bike would feel right going down no matter what shocks your running brotha.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 AM
vantage255
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thrilled with the ride and control the Ohlins gave me. I am waiting on Howard's new Ohlins cartridge fork setup. I can't wait to have the ride and control from the forks that I now have in the rear. Based on my roughly 6K miles now on the Ohlins, I would say that I feel more unsure of my forks and have been nervous at certain times that they might cause an issue, but the rear has been solid and has given me a sense of much more control.

My $0.02.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes It was, would I do it again yes.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I have found the Ohlins to be a superior shock, especially compared to the junk air bags Harley supplies on a $25,000 bike. I also think changing to a heavier fork oil compliments the total package.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There is no way any shock, unless it fails catastrophically, is going to cause a crash. There are a lot of us on HDF with high miles on Ohlins and we are over the moon with them!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is no way any shock, unless it fails catastrophically, is going to cause a crash. There are a lot of us on HDF with high miles on Ohlins and we are over the moon with them!

I would not go so far as to say that. They may not be the CAUSE, but they can sure help you go down.

Quick Reply: How many are really happy w/ Ohlins shocks for the money spent?