Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xied + Stage 1 download?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 332 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailgunner1
Stage 1 download only brings bike back to 14.7 AFR when high flow AC is added. 14.7-1 AFR is what all new bikes must run at as per EPA. Stage 1 download also advances timing and ups Rev limiter to 6500. Xieds ,depending on which ones you have, make the bike run richer which helps for a little better throttle responce and cooler engine temp. Go to nightrider.com and do your research. I have Xieds with stage 1 download and would recommend this to anyone just adding AC and mufflers. My 2012 Ultra Limited runs great and I am very happy with this setup. If you want more HPs, torque or will be doin engine mods in the future bit the bullet and get a tuner.
Thanks, that is the kind of informed answer I was looking for. And confirms my own research.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dognate
Thanks, that is the kind of informed answer I was looking for. And confirms my own research.
My only advice is this - if you are planning to do the Stage 1 download PLUS XIEDs, you are very close to the price of a Power Vision.

For an extra $100, get the PV from Fuelmoto, he can send you a map that matches your setup, and you get free maps for life, so at that point you have "future proofed" your fuel management. And the PV is easier to install than the XIEDS (which themselves are pretty easy)

My .02

Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 PM
3dognate
Tourer

Originally Posted by Keithhu
My only advice is this - if you are planning to do the Stage 1 download PLUS XIEDs, you are very close to the price of a Power Vision.

For an extra $100, get the PV from Fuelmoto, he can send you a map that matches your setup, and you get free maps for life, so at that point you have "future proofed" your fuel management. And the PV is easier to install than the XIEDS (which themselves are pretty easy)

My .02
Already have the download as of this morning and just installed the xieds so hind sight is 20/20 I guess. I installed the se slip ons after work and took a ride... Had a bit of popping on decel, installed the Xieds will take another quick ride after dinner to see what happens. Big sucker arrives tomorrow fingers crossed.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a stage 1 download and think it was worth the cost. I don't see any response here that says adding the XIEDs after a stage 1 makes much of a difference. The ones that have both only say the bike runs fine. But is it worth while to add XIEDs to a stage 1 bike? I am happy with my bikes performance but for more performance for the price of XIEDs I might like to add them. Is there any difference, and how much?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect combo for intake and exhaust mods. The Stage 1 Recalibration assures correct VE and the XiEDs enrich the closed loop to 13.9 - 14.0 for better driveability and response as well as cooler running. I have this combo on my 2010 FLHTP 103 and am very pleased. Really woke up the bike and made it fun to ride.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I have a stage 1 download and think it was worth the cost. I don't see any response here that says adding the XIEDs after a stage 1 makes much of a difference. The ones that have both only say the bike runs fine. But is it worth while to add XIEDs to a stage 1 bike? I am happy with my bikes performance but for more performance for the price of XIEDs I might like to add them. Is there any difference, and how much?
XiEDs do make a difference even after the Stage 1 Recalibration. It will perform better by having better response and be cooler running.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks, joflewbyu2.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Tailgunner1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 3dognate
Already have the download as of this morning and just installed the xieds so hind sight is 20/20 I guess. I installed the se slip ons after work and took a ride... Had a bit of popping on decel, installed the Xieds will take another quick ride after dinner to see what happens. Big sucker arrives tomorrow fingers crossed.
dognate, Make sure your exhaust clamps are fully closing and tight. Exhaust leak is number 1 cause of decel popping. The used clamps may look and feel tight but because of there construction they might not be clamping down all the way. There is a block on a spindle (has kind of an I beam shape) that the bolt goes through and it can get hang up or get cocked and can look and feel like it is tight when it is not. Recommend replacing the clamps with new ones. Also make sure your Xieds are well grounded. I went right to the neg. battery terminal.

Last edited by Tailgunner1; 05-09-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
mgdots
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to clarify what I am reading. I am installing a SE A/C and some SE pipes. The stage 1 download does not give any added benefits if I am installing the XIEDs. I can get the download done for free (it pays to know people) but I don't really need it.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
3dognate
Tourer

Originally Posted by mgdots
Just want to clarify what I am reading. I am installing a SE A/C and some SE pipes. The stage 1 download does not give any added benefits if I am installing the XIEDs. I can get the download done for free (it pays to know people) but I don't really need it.
There is obviously not a consensus regarding this....

The stage 1 download does offer benefits... different A/F ratio across the rpm range and the rev limiter gets moved to 6500 RPM... But the A/F Mix target is the same as before the new parts... just compensates for the new parts. But adding Xied on top of that gives a slightly richer fuel mix in addition. So if you can get a free Download... doesn't appear to hurt a thing to do so...

Tailgunner - I'll double check my clamps but I'm 99.9% sure they are as they should be.

I know my bike is running better than ever after having the download and Xieds both onboard... smoothness... Can't wait to get the Big Sucker on tonight.

Last edited by 3dognate; 05-09-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Xied + Stage 1 download?