Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 FLHTK Limited, Problems and Perceptions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 AM
TOUR'N
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 FLHTK Limited, Problems and Perceptions

Alright, don't flame me for stating that I just sold my 08 Goldwing with 20,000 miles on it, and never had one issue, a.k.a. bullet-proof. I wanted a new ride because it was going on 5 years, and I like to keep current models. I didn't pursue a new Goldwing because the builds went back to Japan which raised the price a couple thousand, and I couldn't stand the new design. Rather than wait for the next re-design, I decide to go back to a Harley. My last one was an 82 FLH, which by the way was stolen.

Anyway, I've already experienced a blown bulb prior to the 1,000 service, no problem, and now I've got oil all over the front of the gas tank, with no visible leaks, and both the battery and oil lights sporadically come on at low speeds, which is unnerving. However, the oil level is fine and the battery voltage is showing a tad over 14 when running at speed.

So... I call the local dealer and he can't get me in until the 15th. I don't plan on doing much riding over the next few days, so not that big a deal. But, the first thought that went through my mind was, Harley's are having so many problems they can't even get mine in for a week. Meanwhile, the Honda mechanics are sitting around twiddling there fingers. Hey, I'm not stupid, I'm well aware that it's a Harley and I'm going to have problems, just didn't think they'd start on delivery. But hey, I've got a warranty, and hopefully they'll have most of the bugs worked out before it expires, or it'll go to a new home.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry you are having problems, but I must say I haven't had a single hiccup with mine so far.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

No problems with mine either. But with anything man made some will have issues. Just like the frame recall on some Goldwings.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2011 has been mostly trouble free. Did blow one tourpack bulb at about 1000 miles but thats no big deal. I did have a hicup at 10,000 miles that it threw a code and went into limp mode but cleaned/lubricated the throttle body electrical connector and it has not happened again. Wish you luck when they get the initial stuff straightened out.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:02 PM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you got a lemon, sorry to hear about your problems. My '10 has no issues so far and is like an energizer bunny.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Tailgunner1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD HD
Sorry you are having problems, but I must say I haven't had a single hiccup with mine so far.
That was the kiss of death, better find some wood to knock on. As for all the harleys in the shop, think about how many harleys there are out there from all kinds of years as compaired to how many goldwings there are. Just saying......... good luck with your issues. Maybe you are just getting the bugs out up front while the warranty is in effect. Better than when warranty is up.......

Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
wheelman38
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Better now than later. Mine is running sweet so far. Had BMW's for 25 year before the Limited. There was some in-trepidation before I went American, but Im happy I did especially with the Limited. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The oil on the front of the tank is most likely oil dripping out of the grease used in the steering neck and blowing back with the wind. You would think after years of this annoyance H-D would change greases.

Not sure on the other problems but most likely a ground issue of some sort. They should get it fixed up without too much trouble. My first 500 miles the bike was in the dealership about 4 times.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Another thing to add, don't always take the backlog at the shop as a sign of bad bikes. Having worked in a few shops, I can tell you most of the backlog is previously scheduled appointments to install bling, horsepower and at this time of year, just general service to get their bikes ready for the season........ This is prime time in the shop arena!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Another thing to add, don't always take the backlog at the shop as a sign of bad bikes. Having worked in a few shops, I can tell you most of the backlog is previously scheduled appointments to install bling, horsepower and at this time of year, just general service to get their bikes ready for the season........ This is prime time in the shop arena!
I agree, I am a toolman and go into my dealership on fridays...there is plenty going on with only two of the seven techs doing repairs...I don't even have my new sled yet and I pre-scheduled a week ago for May 24th to have the dyno tune.

Quick Reply: 2012 FLHTK Limited, Problems and Perceptions